U.S. storms homes to snag gaming pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEnd187

Banned
Federal agents seek piracy devices in more than 30 homes and businesses

WASHINGTON - Federal customs agents Wednesday raided more than 30 businesses and homes, looking for devices that let pirated video games play on Sony's PlayStation 2, Microsoft's Xbox and Xbox 360, and Nintendo's Wii.

The alleged sale and distribution of illegal modification chips and copyright circumvention devices for the popular consoles and others included 32 search warrants in 16 states, said the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

ICE declined to release the names of those targeted or any other details.

The illegal chips and other devices used on gaming consoles violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. Sales of counterfeit or illegally obtained games costs the industry about $3 billion a year globally, not including Internet piracy, estimates the Entertainment Software Association trade group.

"Illicit devices like the ones targeted today are created with one purpose in mind, subverting copyright protections," Julie L. Myers, assistant secretary of Homeland Security for ICE, said in a release. "These crimes cost legitimate businesses billions of dollars annually and facilitate multiple other layers of criminality, such as smuggling, software piracy and money laundering."

The federal raids came after a yearlong investigation conducted by ICE's Office of the Assistant Special Agent in Charge in Cleveland, which coordinated with the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Ohio and the Department of Justice's Computer Crimes and Intellectual Property Section.

ICE said it also received technical assistance from the software association and other industry members.

U.S. storms homes to snag gaming pirates - Games - MSNBC.com
source

That sucks. I don't like piracy but if you are not doing it for profit they should keep out of peoples homes.

But the businesses should be prosecuted.

I agree with you 100% Chris. I don't believe it's wrong, for personal use. Just as long as you don't sell it, or give it to others. Just for yourself.

I agree. Also it costs them billions????

Yeah right.

Think how many people are actually proficient enough to do this.

One of those grey areas. Should be legal to possess but not legal to sale. Which then brings the question if it's illegal to sale then how can it be legal to possess? I think this is all a bunch of crap, anyhow. Like with the xbox. Loading to the HDD was great, no more scratched disc errors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom