TV disruptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gab00n

In Runtime
Recently i have been having many disruptions during the same time periods when watching tv. It starts around the time Jay Leno is on, after 12, California time. It will either knock it out to static or a darker static and sometimes a black screen with or without sound. It happens on any channel i am watching for a few seconds at a time over about an hour time span. I was wandering if any other people have the same problem and what could be the causes.

Do you think it could be some military communications tests or something else that knocks the signal out? There is supposed to be a secret military base under Catalina Island and there are other bases nearby.

lol about the bases thing wow. Why not call up your cable company and ask them wtf is up im paying for your service and im getting blackouts.

Try hooking up a DVD player or VCR and playing around the time that you have the interference. That will give you a good idea as to what the problem is (TV or cable signal).

Log the exact times the interference occurs and show the cable company. If it's not their problem then it could be inteference from anywhere. It is very unlikely to be from a miltary base, it's probably something about 200m away maximum.

It takes out all the TVs in the house at the same time. I do live right by a fire station but i never experience problems during the day. I like playing around with handheld radios and going through the different frequencies and i often pick up Morse code type signals. They are encrypted so i know they must be military so i was thinking they might be testing some high powered communications.

I will phone the cable company and see if they know what could be the cause. It doesn't happen everyday so i could live with the problem. It is annoying if you are watching a scary movie because the static is quite loud and sudden.

It sounds like someone very close is using a CB radio or what ever they are called, you know the kind that them truck drivers use? Well around here people buy them illegial amps and such and knock entire subdivisons out at a time. So it might be possible someone is using one to knock out your TV's.

charles_scott said:
It sounds like someone very close is using a CB radio or what ever they are called, you know the kind that them truck drivers use? Well around here people buy them illegial amps and such and knock entire subdivisons out at a time. So it might be possible someone is using one to knock out your TV's.

Amps for CB's almost never knock out Cable or anything. One bad device in a house on your block that's connected to cable (Cable amp, TV, Modem) can knock a whole bunch of crap.

This leads me to want to make a cable jammer :) And yes I do know what I am talking about, I am licensed for Air / Land radio's in Canada

Well I'm a radio ham, so I know what I'm talking about. I really think you should log the times and dates and contact the cable company. If you like playing around with handheld radios then you should buy or make a yagi (directional) antenna of some kind, and if it's a good handheld then it will have an attenuator, which reduces the recieved signal by about 15db. Enable that and try to locate the signal by pointing the antenna around and walking around the neighbourhood. I'm pretty sure that the interference will not be more than 200m away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom