Trying to drop some weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm somewhat in the same boat. I was 160 back when i was a freshman in college, but i rode my bike everyday or had speedskating practice and spent like 5-6 hours trailriding on the weekends. then i moved to a college town and lost 20 pounds of muscle, now i'm up to 185 and its not the same weight. Mine is mostly apathy, i'm just too lazy to go workout anymore. Need to get back into the habit. But i have cut out all red meat, i only eat ground turkey and chicken breasts and drink tons of water. Trying to cut back on my rum too, which i know is a huge part of my weight because it tends to make me eat later than i really should.

I hardly agree with that at all. You're completely disregarding the grotesque amounts of carbohydrates being eaten in the form of white bread, candy, chocolate, sodas, potatoes, pasta, etc.

I wish I could point to some statistics, but it's just a matter of observation, 90% of the food on a North American table is carbohydrates. they might eat a lot of meat too, but not nearly as much carbohydrates... sure, they lead in the world in meat consumption, but I think that's just because they eat too much of everything in general, if you looked at carbohydrate consumption, I'm sure you'd see much more startling numbers in comparison to the rest of the world

plus, the meat that north americans tend to eat en mass comes in the form of greasy fast food and not lean cuts of meat, I just find it strange that you seem to be implying that an excess amount of protein consumption is what is causing obesity in the United States

I'm not disregarding anything, I said number one, not only. Protein is, statistically, the nutrient putting us the most apart from the world and excess protein is stored as fat.

I'm not disregarding anything, I said number one, not only. Protein is, statistically, the nutrient putting us the most apart from the world and excess protein is stored as fat.

Please point me in the direction of the statistics that you speak of that show that the difference in meat/protein consumption of the US to the rest of the world is greater than that of the difference in carbohydrate consumption...

If you're talking about a country that inherently eats too much overall food, of course they're going to overconsume meat as well... but carbohydrates are a bigger problem then their protein consumption!

Yes, excess amounts of protein will get stored as fat, but not as efficiently as carbohydrates - and at least you can use excess proteins in conjuction with weight training to increase muscle mass - you can't do that with carbs.

This coincides with what I've said earlier too... if you're dieting, and I say 60% of your diet should be protein, that doesn't mean over-consumption of meat because you'd be in a caloric deficit! Your probably going to be eating less meat than before, but the ratio of meat eaten to other foods will probably be more

Merkwürdigliebe made a great first post in this thread. Good information which is mostly correct. (Some is a matter of opinion).

But yeah, my best advice is this: "Losing weight and getting in better shape is a life style". It's not a program or just something your trying. You can't look at it as "On a Diet". You must say, "I've changed my Diet." Think of it all as a permanent life change. Not just something you'll try to lose 15LBS. Cause you know what? Go back to the way you were eating and living before and say hello to that same 15LBS + coming right back again.

It's a lifestyle.

Merkwürdigliebe made a great first post in this thread. Good information which is mostly correct. (Some is a matter of opinion).

But yeah, my best advice is this: "Losing weight and getting in better shape is a life style". It's not a program or just something your trying. You can't look at it as "On a Diet". You must say, "I've changed my Diet." Think of it all as a permanent life change. Not just something you'll try to lose 15LBS. Cause you know what? Go back to the way you were eating and living before and say hello to that same 15LBS + coming right back again.

It's a lifestyle.

I'm just curious to know exactly what you may think differently of in particular - I'm not looking to pick a fight :p, I've really only gotten serious about nutrition and fitness about a year ago, and I'm continually trying to inform myself as well as possible - so I'm completely fine with being corrected if I've said something wrong or questionable

mmmmmmm.......
pizza.jpg

sry had to rub it in

tell you the truth i lost A FRE4KIN LOT when i ate oranges for a month, with other food as well, i was literally a twig so i had to gain it back

UPDATE: I am down to 175. I started eating smaller portions and eating slower. And usually I will eat several times a day, but not a lot each time. I am not hungry like I was before. My metabolism seems to have speeded up as a result and a few pounds have dropped. Haven't really changed my activity level all that much, but since the weather is nice I have been outside a lot more. I guess the key is "patience grasshopper".

Well, what you do. Is you pick the weight up, then let go with your hand. And omg! it falls to the floor.

On a serious note, whenever your hungry have a pint of water. Then eat healthy cereal dry or with low fat milk, when the water doesn't work. I lost a stone that way when my doctor said my BMI was above 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom