A true WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
_44008597_nasser630_puffa.jpg

dang, those things are cool looking! My friends would probably pop it...as they tend to do

It's amazing how many pictures you can find on google of people handling these puffer fish.

A medium sized puffer fish contains enough toxin to kill 30 adult humans.

Although, this toxin is found primarily in it's liver and ovaries, it can be present in it's skin and other organs.

It's amazing how many pictures you can find on google of people handling these puffer fish.

A medium sized puffer fish contains enough toxin to kill 30 adult humans.

Although, this toxin is found primarily in it's liver and ovaries, it can be present in it's skin and other organs.

the toxin is in its gull bladder. who ever mentioned some one throwing the puffer fish off the pier isn't very bight, as the toxin is very deadly. i hope it was a boat pier and not a pier on a beach.

the toxin is in its gull bladder. who ever mentioned some one throwing the puffer fish off the pier isn't very bight, as the toxin is very deadly. i hope it was a boat pier and not a pier on a beach.

No, it was definitely a beach pier where people would fish from.

You have to eat the toxin for it to hurt you though - so consider that it would be very diluted before travelling 5 feet through the ocean and most people don't drink ocean water.

44008597nasser630puffapi4.jpg

"I want to hold him and pet him and hug and call him george"..... (and then die from it's nerotoxin later)

no.

Fish poisoning by consumption of members of the order Tetraodontiformes is one of the most violent intoxications from marine species. The gonads, liver, intestines, and skin of pufferfish can contain levels of tetrodotoxin sufficient to produce rapid and violent death. The flesh of many pufferfish may not usually be dangerously toxic.
US FDA/CFSAN - Bad Bug Book - Tetrodotoxin

Some puffers also produce a powerful neurotoxin in their internal organs, making them an unpleasant, possibly lethal, meal for any predatory fish that eats one. This neurotoxin is found primarily in the ovaries and liver, although smaller amounts exist in the intestines and skin, as well as trace amounts in muscle tissue and in its blood.
Tetraodontidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fish poisoning by consumption of members of the order Tetraodontiformes is one of the most violent intoxications from marine species. The gonads, liver, intestines, and skin of pufferfish can contain levels of tetrodotoxin sufficient to produce rapid and violent death. The flesh of many pufferfish may not usually be dangerously toxic.
US FDA/CFSAN - Bad Bug Book - Tetrodotoxin
Some puffers also produce a powerful neurotoxin in their internal organs, making them an unpleasant, possibly lethal, meal for any predatory fish that eats one. This neurotoxin is found primarily in the ovaries and liver, although smaller amounts exist in the intestines and skin, as well as trace amounts in muscle tissue and in its blood.
Tetraodontidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The toxin causes muscle system collapse, you can survive but need to be put on a life support machine until the toxin has worn off.

The toxin causes muscle system collapse, you can survive but need to be put on a life support machine until the toxin has worn off.

Well, if you could get to a hospital in time, I guess it's a possibility.

Seeing as the biggest threat to humans would be via consumption, it makes sense not to even attempt eating the fish. I don't care what chef is "Trained and Certified" to cook and serve puffer fish, I'm not playing Russian roulette with my food.

Imagine you saw someone who just ate puffer fish start to lose control. You knew they were falling victim to the toxin. Very soon their diaphragm will stop working and they will no longer be breathing. Now, knowing that they have just put a toxic laden fish in their mouths, are you going to be the first person in line ready to give this person mouth to mouth to get their lungs pumping air? I'm certainly not going to be. How many people carry a mouth shield for CPR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom