Troy - the movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundgarden

In Runtime

I assume that all of us know that a movie is being made about the great war.

What do you guys think about it from the previews?

I think that this movie will be favored by those who do not know the story, but disliked by those who do.

First of all, the most dissapointing thing so far is the casting. Brad Pitt as Achilles is a joke. I can tell that the casting director casted him as part of a marketing scheme. Every guy will go see it because its a war film, and every women will go see it becuase Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom is in it. I just can't wait to see who plays Odysseus and Hector. But I have a feeling the casting director failed on those parts also.

Second of all, the story had so many important parts. I dont think the director can fit it all into less than 3 hours on film. This movie should have been split into two movies. The first movie should have ended with the death of Patrocols, and the second one should have ended with the departure of Aeneas from Troy(althogh this is from the Aeneid).

Sad indeed that such a great story is going to be misinterpreted by millions.

Sigh,
:(

being a Greek, i wanted to see the movie to check on its accuracy on the mythical story, however, now i'm less empted. would you suggest i go see it anyway or wait until it comes out so i don't waste $9?

soundgarden said:

I assume that all of us know that a movie is being made about the great war.

What do you guys think about it from the previews?

I think that this movie will be favored by those who do not know the story, but disliked by those who do.

First of all, the most dissapointing thing so far is the casting. Brad Pitt as Achilles is a joke. I can tell that the casting director casted him as part of a marketing scheme. Every guy will go see it because its a war film, and every women will go see it becuase Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom is in it. I just can't wait to see who plays Odysseus and Hector. But I have a feeling the casting director failed on those parts also.

Second of all, the story had so many important parts. I dont think the director can fit it all into less than 3 hours on film. This movie should have been split into two movies. The first movie should have ended with the death of Patrocols, and the second one should have ended with the departure of Aeneas from Troy(althogh this is from the Aeneid).

Sad indeed that such a great story is going to be misinterpreted by millions.

Sigh,
:(

I'm assuming you've seen the movie to have such a strong opinion.....

If you haven't seen it then maybe you should before you start ranting on that you know nothing about.

Re: Re: Troy - the movie

Erstad said:
I'm assuming you've seen the movie to have such a strong opinion.....

If you haven't seen it then maybe you should before you start ranting on that you know nothing about.

If you read the story you would agree with me. I have had many discussions about this movie, in school/on other forums, and everyone who read, understood, and appreciated the novel agrees with me.

If you never read the novel, then this movie will be fascinating.

But for me, i can already tell its gonna be crap.

So you haven't seen the movie???

Why not see it first and then tell everyone on TF how crappy it's gonna be.

Personally, I think it's gonna be awesome whether it's close to the original story or not. It's just a movie for gawd sakes.

Erstad said:
It's just a movie for gawd sakes.

NO offense Erstad, but that statement is so naive. A good, especially a novel-based movie, shoudl capture the essence of the story and re-tell it in a visual medium.

Film is not just one of those meaningless fields. THere are universites devoted to the field.

"just a movie" is like saying that a great novel is "just a book" or a great song is "just a song", or IBM's Deep Blue is "just a computer".

I am a big fan of liturature and film. So far the best film interpretation of a story is LOTR, and they needed 9 hours for that.

Having a discussion with you is "just a waste of time".

If you don't THINK it's going to be a good movie then don't go see it but you can't possibly form an opinion on something of which you know nothing about.

Maybe you will go to the theater and be blown away. When that happens I will be here waiting for an apology.

BTW...yes, it's just a movie. It's just entertainment just as books are just as music is.

I can understand you not wanting them to ruin a good story, but give it a chance before you say it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom