Tribute video

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAVOC said:
Negative. But, people often make that assumtion. Must be something about my personality or may-be my BF2 skills?

I dunno bout all that, but it's cool. I lose some weight, quite a bit, then ya, I want to join.

A little touchy subject here, eh?

That slide show was very well done, in it's own way. But did you ever thought why it makes you wanna join the army or what ever it makes you feel? What's the message behind it? Showing US soldiers hanging out with innocent foreign kids and women. Showing grieving US soldiers, obviously cause a fellow soldier(s) had died. With melancholic music.

Now where are the pics of all the rapes, executions of innocent civilians and household pets, mutilated bodies, desperation, loosing sanity. The unpleasant reality of every war. Oh, but that wouldn't make people wanna join the army or think that US troops are only trying to help the innocent ones of foreign people, while the guilty ones apparently kill people for no reason.

This is how wikipedia defines the word propaganda:
Propaganda is a type of message aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of people. Often, instead of impartially providing information, propaganda can be deliberately misleading, using logical fallacies, which, while sometimes convincing, are not necessarily valid. Propaganda techniques include: patriotic flag-waving, glittering generalities, intentional vagueness, oversimplification of complex issues, rationalization, introducing unrelated red herring issues, using appealing, simple slogans, stereotyping, testimonials from authority figures or celebrities, unstated assumptions, and encouraging readers or viewers to "jump on the bandwagon" of a particular point of view.

I'd suggest thinking twice before joining army. IMO people are wasting their (and others) lives for no good reason.

*Now enjoy deleting this reply as well, since I don't share your opinion.*

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
- Benjamin Franklin

*sigh* firefox is right, so Ill delete my earlier rebuttle, but im keeping the quote, cause it's good.

I call on LoTeX to show the same respect.

hillbillybob said:
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
- Benjamin Franklin

Yes, the quote itself is good, I just don't see the relevance? Do you mean that in this case "essential liberty" is the choice of going to war and "a little temporary safety" is staying at home passing the killing? Right. As you (hopefully) know, this war hasn't got much to do with safety or liberty, it's all about money...

hillbillybob said:

*sigh* firefox is right, so Ill delete my earlier rebuttle, but im keeping the quote, cause it's good.

I call on LoTeX to show the same respect.

Show the same respect? You want me to delete my comments cause you deleted some of yours? Sorry, but I stand behind my opinion. And thanks to the mods/admins, I don't have to delete my inputs, they usually do it. Quite quickly, in fact. :D

A little healthy debate shouldn't hurt anyone.

Peace.;):p

Inputs are fine, posting garbage ain't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how loopy it is.

Some atrocities will happen whether there is a war are not simply because there are human beings involved. But casting all of the soldiers of our military as being guilty of them won't fly.

Your other posts were deleted by me. Any further along those lines will meet the same fate.

Trotter said:
Inputs are fine, posting garbage ain't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how loopy it is.

Some atrocities will happen whether there is a war are not simply because there are human beings involved.

Sorry for having a loopy/different opinion. :p

Surely atrocities will happen all the time, but for some reason they're much more common during the wars. I suppose killing other people and seeing them killed can be pretty hard for one's psyche. Even if one is trying to fool oneself thinking that enemies are not humans.

Trotter said:

But casting all of the soldiers of our military as being guilty of them won't fly.

Never said that. I said about those things in general. Cruelties are done by all the participating sides, no matter what country they come from.

I have nothing against US troops personally, they didn't decide to start the war, the government did, and their purposes are very questionable (the video link I posted...). I'm just against the whole war in general. And IMO that slide show and music is a well done propaganda, promoting the whole war. That's why I had to say something, especially since everyone else was buying it.

God bless America...and why not all the other countries as well, while (s)he's at it? Let's not be selfish. :)

I guess we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum then. While I'm not wild about us being in a war, I see the need for us to be there. I am also very much in support of our troops, both in the middle east , abroad, and at home.

Whoever happens to be in office doesn't change anything for me. If I see the need, I will back it 100%. But then I would have to say that I am "old school"... God, family, country, and all that.

Actually, the video is about the soldiers and their families, both back home and brothers in arms. It had nothing to do with the government, nor did it promote any single view (other than that of the wishes of the soldiers).

I guess I took insult where none was intended. My apologies.

No problem. We obviously have different views and thoughts. And that's how it should be, wouldn't it be boring if everybody had the same thoughts. :D

But I still have to disagree with you about that video. And to my relief, I wasn't the only one here. I'm now quoting a part of PM I got yesterday from a certain member: "I feel the same way about that "tribute" video trotter posted. That's why I simply didn't post in there. No matter how you look at it, it's an attempt to make it look like we're underdog crusaders fighting for justice or something when that's simply not the case." I couldn't have put it better myself.

Peace.

Trotter said:
I guess we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum then. While I'm not wild about us being in a war, I see the need for us to be there. I am also very much in support of our troops, both in the middle east , abroad, and at home.

Whoever happens to be in office doesn't change anything for me. If I see the need, I will back it 100%. But then I would have to say that I am "old school"... God, family, country, and all that.

+1 :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom