TOTAL STUFFED COMP (well i fixed most of the stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam111316

Baseband Member
Well it all began when my older brother went onto the comp.

He went on and supposedly got some of the ad-ware alerts telling him to block this "bad" products and he did that. Nex thing he calls me into the room and says the computer is TOTALLY stuffed.

So i went onto my account to see all the problems. 1st the computer "forgot" how to open exe and lnk(shortcut) files. So i managed to get onto the internet and get my browser(avant browser) working. i found on the net 2 registry files to fix from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm then it fixed my problem after importing it into the registry .

Later i log on to the comp and i notice i cannot see any of the system tray icons(the ones by the clock) but the clock is there and the start menu. i also cannot move the taskbar or right click to go to the taskbar options. it is really annoying because most of my programs minimize to tray and i cant re-open them so i have to go the long way to re-open things.

Can anyone help me fix the system tray??? plz help

ps. i got windows home edition service pack 2

Jam3s-Zer0 said:
Search for virus with nod32 (or your normal virus scanner) and use spybot and ad aware.

well i used full scanned my computer with windows defender, lava-soft ad-aware, spybot search and destroy and gridsoft avg virus scanner.

ps i have 2 operating systems( xp on both drives) when i reverted to the older xp it worked perfectly. but the old drive is slow and crappy.

well i have no real idea how to backup all my files and keep all my programs working.

any good programs out there that you can suggest?

i think i know the problem now

could someone tell me the files assosiated with the taskbar and system tray( like programs are exe and shortcuts are lnk)

i think it is because the fill associations are not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom