Torrenting (not an illegal thread!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I read the sticky above, and this should not be breaking any rules. If it is, please delete this thread. Ok, so I've always wondered, how easy is it to get caught for downloading music or games or anything through torrents? How does that happen? I am 100% against it because it destroys the gaming and music industry. Just curious, thanks!

Well, your ISP can see that you're downloading things using the high ports that torrent clients use. Although you can encrypt the files so they can't actually see the files, they do know you're using a torrent client. However, torrent clients can download stuff that is 100% legal, such as Linux distros among other things.

Another way is by fake trackers. Basically they have a tracker but instead of hosting a file, they just log your IP. They now know that your IP has pirated their game/music/whatever, and they contact your ISP and threaten to sue unless they take action.

There are ways around both but I'm not telling.

Film companies sue iiNet 'for allowing piracy'
The Australian film and television industry has launched a major legal action against one of Australia's largest internet service providers for allegedly allowing its users to download pirated movies and TV shows.

The action against iiNet was filed in the Federal Court today by Village Roadshow, Universal Pictures, Warner Bros, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, 20th Century Fox, Disney and the Seven Network.

Mark White, iiNet's chief operating officer, said the company did not support piracy in any form but it could not disconnect customers just because the movie industry claimed they engaged in illegal downloading.

It can be quit easy to be caught in the right circumstances. There are precautions that can lower these chances, but there will always be a chance of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom