Torrent Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlySniper

Solid State Member
Hi,

I am not sure what Torrent is, BUT, it sounds cool. Anyways, I am trying to get a torrent file, but when I click download, it says, "C:\Documents and Settings\Elvir\Local Settings\ Temporary Internet files\Content.IES\OJQ3PT6P\robot%20%20%20chan[1].torrent

Application not found."

What did I do wrong? Do I have to have something to download torrent files or what?

Thanks

you need a bittorrent client, normally with windows anyway, it will act as an extension or web browser activated app, but you can download the torrent then use the client on it

there's quite a few out there to choose from, google for bittorent and bram cohen to get the original, azureus is a good GUI based client

what bittorrent is or does, is its a tracking system, it breaks up big files into chunks, then broadcasts/recieves the addresses of other computers with pieces of the file thru the use of that torrent file

if you look inside a torrent file, besides some gibberish you see a list of ip's and computers that have the file pieces, then what it does is it allows a swarm to develop where your downloading pieces from lots of people at the same time, making it go faster, it also forces sharing, instead of the typical bottleneck created by other p2p apps which go thru a central tracker

Download bitcomet (www.bitcomet.com) - it is very user friendly and has a nice GUI

Or if you want to try a P2P program like the good old napster or kazaa style ones, then try out exeem (www.exeem.com) - a new P2P program in beta stage that uses the bittorrent protocol, i.e. the same setup as torrent files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom