Too Many Computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I have been told that having too many computers in one room at a normal residential house is a fire hazard. Is this so? And if so, how many can be plugged in and running and it still be safe?

I get it really comes down to how many power outlets you have in your room. Like I got my 2 rigs + periphals (specs below) plus 1 8xport switch, 1 4xPort Router 1 Cable Modem, 1small stereo, heater or fan (depending on time of the year), MP3 Player Charger and 2x Mobile Phone Chargers coming from 1 wall socket. In order to do this, I have 3 power board piggy backing each other.

This this a fire hazard.... yes!

Luckly, I have 1 fuse in my fuse box dedicated just for my computer room.

When I was living with my parents place, all it took me to blow a fuse with my computer room was to have the heater running, the computer on, the TV on, the stereo (with was connected to the computer) on, and then have me send a print job to the laser printer.

So I had to remember to turn off my heater before printing.

Yes, it can a fire hazard.
It really comes down to how much current are you trying to take from location in your house.

Wow, I didn't know that. It would be pretty cool and bad if you had so many computers in your house that when you started them all up at the same time, the whole city blacks out for like a split second. :D

I run three servers, my work desktop plus my wireless gateway all in my office at home. Also have a luxman amp(450watts) powering my cerwins for my mp3 enjoyment. The servers have their own independant source for power, the desktop and amp run off the same surge protector. I recently had the fire marshall out to inspect my main room for a new fireplace I was adding, and we ventured into the office for some paperwork, they never said anything but "wow, you have a lot of computers."

i was worried about blowing a fuse when i had my lan party, i had 3 pcs, 3crt monitors, 2 laptops, lights, tv, playstation, modem, 6 pairs of speakers, etc. Didnt blow a fuse though.

wayne

waynejkruse10 said:
i was worried about blowing a fuse when i had my lan party, i had 3 pcs, 3crt monitors, 2 laptops, lights, tv, playstation, modem, 6 pairs of speakers, etc. Didnt blow a fuse though.

wayne
That was nothing compaired to the last private lan party i when too.
1x NORTH SYDNEY APPARTMENT
16x COMPUTERS

I was rather amazed that we did not blow any thing there.

having too many of any item that uses an outlet in a room is a firehazard. too many is when you have cables connected to every outlet and extensions for wall outlets with all sockets on the extension being used.

Harper said:
I get it really comes down to how many power outlets you have in your room. Like I got my 2 rigs + periphals (specs below) plus 1 8xport switch, 1 4xPort Router 1 Cable Modem, 1small stereo, heater or fan (depending on time of the year), MP3 Player Charger and 2x Mobile Phone Chargers coming from 1 wall socket. In order to do this, I have 3 power board piggy backing each other.

This this a fire hazard.... yes!

Luckly, I have 1 fuse in my fuse box dedicated just for my computer room.

When I was living with my parents place, all it took me to blow a fuse with my computer room was to have the heater running, the computer on, the TV on, the stereo (with was connected to the computer) on, and then have me send a print job to the laser printer.

So I had to remember to turn off my heater before printing.

Yes, it can a fire hazard.
It really comes down to how much current are you trying to take from location in your house.

I have the same problem. With the heater that is. I could run tons and tons of stuff as long as I didnt turn on my heater.

To safely know how much you can run, look at the power consumption on everything.

Lets say your monitor says 25 watt power consumption. Add up all the numbers like that.

For Power Supply's, take their output wattage and multiply that by 1.35

This will get ya close to your saftey limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom