Too Fast Means Big Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
part of my business is trucking and that right there my friends is called inexperience and (obviously) unsafe speed. you would be AMAZED at the lack of skills of some of the CDL drivers on the roads. or maybe TERRIFIED would be a better word. i dont know about the load but what it really looks like to me is that he didnt gear down properly and hit that downgrade and turn going about 30MPH too fast. when you are in the mountains/steep hills you have to be very careful about your gears. if you try to control the truck speed on grades like that with your brakes, guess what? they get extremely hot and become utterly USELESS. and then you have a BIG BIG problem. you have to use the gears. thats part of the reason most have 9-18 gears. thanks be to God that i have never had anything like this happen to any of my guys. well, we dont employ rookies either...but it can happen to the best driver. it seems that the older they get, lots of times the more careless they get.

Talking about truck accidents reminded me of something. I used to work at a restaurant that was right off of a highway. So it was a slow night around 8:30pm... I was sitting at the bar eating my dinner and I happened to be looking out the window at the main road. I see a Fuel Tanker Truck drive by and the back drivers side tires of the Cab were on fire! The flames were pretty friggin high... So we run over to the window to see him stopped across the street and he jumped out... I saw him with a fire extinguisher and he blasted that back tire and it did nothing... I grabbed one of mine from the restaurant and ran out there.

Just as I got out there a state trooper happened to pull up behind him and screamed, "DETACH AND PULL AWAY FROM THE TANKER!!!"... He took my FE and started blasting the tire which was now burning the cab and it wasn't going out... Finally the driver got the tanker disconnected and was able to pull the cab down the road a couple hundred feet. The fire department showed up and was able to extinguish the fire pretty quickly.

Turns out.. the driver just got on the highway from a rest stop less than a mile away... HE LEFT THE EMERGENCY BREAK ON! It didn't take long to heat those suckers up until it started on fire....

It all happened so quickly... That would have been one **** of an explosion... Turns out he was heading to a gas station down the road for delivery...

Video guy shoulda kept going and tried the whole "100 people see something terrible happen and assume that someone else called the cops, but nobody does"

dang. Both died? It didn't look like that cab took a lot of beating... Going way to fast. The load balance also does look a little iffy, the back went to quick before the rest of it. If it was equal, the back should have started tipping then the rest of it should have caught up, but it didn't.

I can bet dollars to donuts that trailor was not packed properly. There is no way that load was balanced. It looks way too heavy in the back.

I don't think there was any thing pack in there in the first place. Check this video out of the same accident and aftermath photos
YouTube - Donner Pass Rollover: plus after the fact pictures.

Whether it be car or truck, your vehical will behave differently depending on how much you are carrying. I have seen it plently of times with Utes where the driver carrying no load hit corners too heavily with no load in the back. The back end is practically all over the place because the driver is normally used to driving it with some sort of load.

However in the case of this video, i am just going to rule it out as inexperienced driver and that his driving instructor was not paying attention to the learner driver. Sadly they paid for this mistake with thier lives.

dang. Both died? It didn't look like that cab took a lot of beating... Going way to fast. The load balance also does look a little iffy, the back went to quick before the rest of it. If it was equal, the back should have started tipping then the rest of it should have caught up, but it didn't.

Dude. watch the end of the video. The dusk and smoke hit just any every thing. There is not much left of the cabin

^i think there had to be something. Because if you look at the exact moment when the truck tips, the back tire goes first, and the front takes quite a bit to follow, if there was no load (which would mean the load was balanced as there was no load) then i think the entire trailer would have tipped at relatively the same time, instead of the back going first.

I don't know anything about driving trucks so i could be horribly wrong, just my opinion.

You gotta think, empty or loaded, they are very flimsy, once they start to tip like that, part of it can still be on the ground and then go out, to me, it looks like he was just going to friggen fast in a turn, and not paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom