Time to rise up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
jono199 said:
How do you get dumb people to do smart things? Surely then they would be smart and wouldn't do the smart thing a would therefore be dumb and would do the smart thing.....

ACHTUNG PARADOX, why hasn't the universe exploded yet?
Do I reply to this one....... Um..... No. I hostenly do not have the time or bandwidth

I should buy Linux. I can get Mandrake Linux for $20, that's good, right? I can put it on a third partition on my HD.

horndude said:
Apple isnt any different than M$ either btw, check the pricing of OS X, pretty close to that of M$, yet Apple only has 4 or 5% of the market and they started with freeBSD as a base so some of the development was already done for them for free.

Quoting myself from this thread (which quotes the same letter segment by the way)...

1) OS X isn't exactly an OEM OS (edit: a bit more relevent for the last thread, not this one)

2) Mac OS X is about the same price as Windows XP Home Edition, yet OS X has no Home and Pro distintion; all the features of the OS are there; none are 'cut out' for a 'home' version of the OS. So in reality, you'd have to compare it to Pro, which is definitely more expensive then OS X.

3) OS X has a five-license family pack available for 199, which is likely less then five licenses of XP. Microsoft's system for that is unclear and I couldn't get prices of their website for it. (this is how far I got).

4) All this aside, both OSes should still lower their prices. OS X and Windows alike.

Anyhow, a segment of a quote from the letter:
Microsoft software will help you maintain your reputations of reliability

HAH!!! :laughing:

"A gifty from nifty thrifty..."

horndude said:
Apple isnt any different than M$ either btw, check the pricing of OS X, pretty close to that of M$, yet Apple only has 4 or 5% of the market and they started with freeBSD as a base so some of the development was already done for them for free.
Actually, No. That's not true at all. A man named "Wong Tzung" was an integral part of the process of making that OS. He's the one who made the FreeBSD version, and he was allso the same person who made the interface for MacOS 9. Called: "Apple Platinum." Another thing you should know, is that if you ever read any Mac Magazine that ever had anything to do with Mac OS X within the year that it came out, You would here about Apples version of the: "Next generation OS." (<--Mac OS X.) And that they've been working on that since the year 1995. That's about 10 Years. And because of that, Mac OS X is virtually Hacker proof! Microsoft wouldn't spend any longer than a few months when it comes to their development. Therefore, you should never compare a company like Apple, With a company like MicroF**K!!!!!! Mac OS X is 10 times better than Windows XP and you know it!!!! :angry: :rolleyes: :cool:

OS X is far from hacker proof, it has all the same vulnerabilities an any other multiuser OS as well as all the advatanges of a multiuser OS

OS X has some of its roots in NEXT, as well as freebsd, the big changes were in the GUI and API's that go with it, DARWIN can still be installed on many platforms including x86, and its opensource and free.OS X also makes use of several of the GNU tools and software as does any posix compliant OS.

Apple's biggest advantage with OS X is its only good for one basic architecture, sold by them and only them, still considering their development time and small market share, I find it ironic their price is in line with M$.

horndude said:
Can you buy a new apple without an OS?

You can build one...if you can get ahold of the necessarily proprietary parts (G4 or G5 processor, the mainboards, etc). A bit of additional effort and sometimes additional cost. Some guy used to sell barebones Macs, but I think he got shut down. 2khappyware or something...you can still do it though.

well most of them require some cooperation on the part of the user, just like with windows, but they are there, just the thing is, like any multiuser OS, you might not get root, with windows the user is always root.

Some examples, put some executable code in an avi or jpeg or png file, the user downloads it, opens it, and boom, its too late.

Cant remember if OS X uses sendmail, but if it does thats a hole.The default shell is csh, thats got security issues.Any of the GNU tools are vulnerable, and OS X makes use of those too.

OS X's best defense is their tiny little 4% share of the desktop PC market, they arent a big target.

The main reason that i still have XP home on my laptop(I'd go completely GNU otherwise), is the fact of hardware compatibility (Printer, wireless card, PC Modem, etc) that and the fact that MSN Messenger doesn't work on Linux. Or at least I haven't got it to work.

I like the fact that Debian has a lot of freeware packages written for it, is completely tweakble, and if one app crashes in the Xserver, you can just tell it "kill client" and you're there. It's a little archaic at times, but i'm also learning how to tweak it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom