Thread postings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't post in this thread earlier because I thought everyone else was making the point so well!

However I now feel the need to throw in my two cents:

I first posted here in april of this year and have stuck here simply because I find this forum far more educated than most others. I don't care who gives me the knowledge as long as it's right, be they 13, 30 or 300...

the best way to bring up the quality is to lead by example, be better than those who just want to make twats of themselves...

nuff said.

------------

Lone Wolf, most of the money in technology these days is in consultancy, and nearly all of that is based around getting people to use technology better rather than just to get the technology to work in the first place. Whilst I can heartly recommend getting some technical knowledge plugging cable A into socket B just won't get you very far. The trick is to take some existing technology in your work environment and make it easier for people to use. This could be anything from designing a database to give users information faster to changing the colour of text on a screen to make it eaiser to read.

Most of the work I do revolves around proprietry systems. I have quite literally done pieces of work that took me 5 minutes and saved my company £100k plus. It's not that no-one else could of done it, but I was there and I spotted it and I did it. You'd be suprised at how easy some of the most highly valued work is. It's mainly based around the fact that most people don't know didly squat about technology. I can only speak from my experience, but a couple of years maintaining and running proprietry systems in a call centre has given me a massive earning potential, mainly because I was the one that cared enough to do a bit of digging and come up with some ideas. Most of the hard part revolves around getting people to listen to what you have to say. Get some experience under your belt that shows you can do that and deliver cost savings and you will find more interesting work.

Of course, getting in the right place to start with can be the hard bit... however it's completely possible, I fell into my career simply because I worked on the phones whilst I was at university. My company just happens to be a company that uses a lot of different IT systems. what system we happen to be using for something doesn't really matter, it's all about end user experience and how effective it makes them at their job.

I haven't even finished reading this entire thread. But when the flames start and the immature name calling, it ends now. The posts have been deleted from where the discussion ended and the war began.

Thread closed.

Note: Sometimes a thread may continue on seemingly unchecked with the flames start. It may take some time for a mod or admin to come by and see that it has gone too far. There is no mod on a side that will permit flaming in this forum, or any other forum here.

Dave :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom