Thread postings

Status
Not open for further replies.
hygor said:
i just wish you could remotely administer electroshock treatment through a persons keyboard!

Hmmm... that might work... i read a while ago that someone had actually connected a refrigerator to the internet... for what purpose I dunno... but it might be fun to watch if it was possble.

I have been guilty a couple times of saying things that would have been better left unsaid and probably wasn't very helpful :rolleyes: . But I have since learned my manners here and have come to thoroughly enjoy this whole forum. I have learned so much and try to pass on what little I do know to others on and offline.

I wish I knew more technical stuff like Microbell (whom I really respect)(you too Lone Wolf;) ) and will continue to frequent this forum despite some of the stupid things people say.

I thank all of you for all the help you have given to me and to others. Keep up the good work as will I.

Lone Wolf said:
I once PM'd Mike about this and he really showed his age ... lol... Really Mike, i mean that w/ good humour - not as a slam. I had no idea you're only 18 when I PM'd you about this.

His reply was:

"Also, in a tech-support role, you aren't looking to keep it for more than 2-3 years.... Best to start from the beginning and not get in over your head and not learn anything.

When i read that last part, I was like 'huh???' wha da ya mean not learn anything? LOL.. i was like Dude, i'm tryin to better myself by learning somehting new and getting conflicting advice definitely befuddled me! At any rate, thanks for listening to my ramblings.

LOL...you should've PMed me back with your thoughts. BTW....I'm 26, not 18. And what I meant was...it's best to start out here in a tech-support role and not get in over your head about proprietary junk in the support role that you are working for. Learn what you want to learn and not what some company wants to teach you. I've been in the industry for many moons and I'm glad that I was the one guy reading Linux/Unix and MSCE related books and not reading issued material that some tech-support manager wanted me to read. People will find your strengths and place you in a spot where you are needed most.

Anywho, back to your thoughts....which are pretty valid points.
I feel that this typical knowledge is being taught at a younger age and therefore it's raising an eyebrow from a 13 year old unlike it did 10 years ago. Regarless of what anyone says, I'm a firm believer that it's a fairly new industry in a general timeline. It's new and it's growing faster and faster everyday.
So, does this mean that when I go to South Africa here in a couple days to dedicate some time for a new clients network....am I going to be upset if I call a techline and get a 18 year-old voice? You bet! But....I will provide however much patience I need to get through to someone that really understands my situation (if there is one). I certainly don't have all the answers for any given situation that pops up on me. Eventually and frequently, I will need to ask a question or an opinion. I have to face facts and learn that young kids are learning this stuff quick. The uneduacated responces that I see are somewhat arbitrary........I gave them once......hmmmm, well, we all did. You can't deny them the ability to learn a thing or two while they are here though. Thats a little selfish.
BTW.....if you ever need anymore advise about a career-turn....I'd love to hear about it. PM me.

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
LOL...you should've PMed me back with your thoughts. BTW....I'm 26, not 18.
-Mike

Whew... i feel a bit better now. :p To think that i asked for career advice to an wet-behind-the-ears-18 year old sort of made me embarrassed but thank God you're not 18 anymore! lol... You seemed much more mature than 18 and threw me for a loop when i read the teens thread.... should have looked at the date posted.

mikesgroovin said:
The uneduacated responces that I see are somewhat arbitrary........I gave them once......hmmmm, well, we all did. You can't deny them the ability to learn a thing or two while they are here though. Thats a little selfish.

No and I'm not trying to deny them the chance to learn cuz like you and MB pointed out, we all started somewhere and made our share of mistakes as a kid. However, the BS postings that I am talking about is the kind of example that MB pointed out. It's totally lame. Just like the thread i read where a guy listed the PC specs asked how much it was $worth$. A member posted back saying ... Don't buy a PC ... build one! it's so much better blah blah blah...

I started out at a highly knowledgeable forum where several members inc. the MODS where extremely knowledgeable. Here I really miss having a core group of guys/gals that I can feel a sense of commraderie and shoot the sh*t about technie stuff or the latest going on in the technology scene. Besides CrazyBeans and a few others, there's very few who have a day-job as a techie or in some sort of IT role. And certainly you don't have to be a computer guy at ABC company to be considered knowledgeable... as I am not one myself....YET. I just want to be able to have some intelligent conversations about technology or the future direction of computers etc.

I'm about to take the A+ next week but ya know... the shit just bores the heck out of me... i wanna learn somethign new.... something MORE indepth than ... take cable A... plug into socket B... I'm glad people like CrazyBeans joined up cuz that's one more person to build up the core group of techies. There are a few others but we need more. The teens definitely outnumber the more mature ones (seems like) and I hope you're right MB, come fall time, i hope those rug rats are so busy studying, they'll hardly post here. That'll give us a chance hopefully to attract more techies. If the boards are filled with young'ens or BS postings like the ones MB and I pointed out, then how the heck are we gonna attract good techies and have them stay here?

I remember a while ago, we had a new member join "RoadRage"... seemed pretty knowledgeable... more than than the typical newbie that joins the forums... he made a few postings and hasn't come back.... although it's only been a couple of weeks.

I very much agree with MB's opinion that such BS postings are frowned upon and should be deleted. How is this forum going to develope a solid reputatin as being knowledgeable if the boards are filled with such BS postings?

At any rate, i do appreciate everyone listening to my opinion and letting me vent some of my fustrations.

And I did try to reply back to your PM Mike. but that dang PM message limits the length of the message and by the time i had typed it all out, it said too long... blah blah...and i had other things to do at work.

Even though I only joined in May the forum seemed to me during all of May to have meaningful threads and good helpful posting . When June rolled around there seemed a massive increase in the number of members joining , which was o.k. , but when I noticed the amount of BS and spamming I could tell it was most likely teens around my age (I'm fourteen) doing the flaming and what have you . Yeah I hope study consumes a lot of these people's time so maybe the forums overall image will be improved and people who actually act commited will join the forum . Though I am glad to say I usually make time in the school year to be on the forums for at least a half hour every day .

I had no idea you're only 14. Your postings do not suggest the typical language that most kids your age use these days and you actually make some good posts once in a while so please don't take my previous response the wrong way. You're definitely the exception in that regard cuz there are a lot of BS postings like MB and I pointed out. And again, I wanna clarify that i'm not bashing all teenagers, nor am I suggesting that you have to be accurate 100% of the time. Just trying to suggest better quality postings and improve the forum as a whole.

Just found this post and must put in my two cents. I have seen some replies that are childish, but for the most part my expectations have been exceeded with this forum. Most people are very helpful and actually carry intelligence about computers. All I hope is that I can add my knowledge and ideas to others here in the way I have seen it displayed. By the by, I am 21 and I used to be a computer science major for awhile in college, but now I am a music major...LOL...I know, I'll be poor, but I'll be happy! Computers are fun and I love them, but not for a job!!! Anyway, I love this place!!!

my thoughts...

1) age is not really important, experience and manners ARE very important. (too bad experience comes with age... LOL!)

2) the "crap" that gets posted... its hard to keep out, but I think the mods do a great job of deleting it.

3) discussions on this forum sometimes get heated, which IMO, shows passion :)

4) in summary, GREAT post incourage others to write GREAT POSTs

I'm hoping and waiting for the one day that I look at TF and see every post have meaning, value and informs the reader!!!!

Thanks

I'll have you know that I do read technical manualrs regularly, and consider my associate degreed self quite professional. This forum, like any is a mirror of society. There are good ones here, and bad ones. If you cannot deal with that, you are free to leave.

Lone Wolf said:
I had no idea you're only 14. Your postings do not suggest the typical language that most kids your age use these days and you actually make some good posts once in a while so please don't take my previous response the wrong way. You're definitely the exception in that regard cuz there are a lot of BS postings like MB and I pointed out. And again, I wanna clarify that i'm not bashing all teenagers, nor am I suggesting that you have to be accurate 100% of the time. Just trying to suggest better quality postings and improve the forum as a whole.

It's ok , I know what you meant. I just wanted to contribute what bothers me about many of my peers actions because it sometimes gives teens in general a bad name . I agree 100% with you about improving the the forum and its quality of posts .:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom