Thread postings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone Wolf

Daemon Poster
Sometimes I get the feeling there's too many teenagers on this forum (excluding the mods) who just are not mature enough to appreciate developing this community here at Tech Forums. Many of them just haven't been around computer forums to know better i guess. Sure we get our share of rift-raft that floats by like any other forum but there are times when i wish we had some more tech savvy people to add to the mix. Instead the boards are filled with comments like such & such software is suks.... etc. etc.. I welcome any personal opinion, evaluation as long as you can back it up with experience, personal obversation, or with journals/books you've read on that topic.

When i last made a post about the update for IE 6.0 it generated very little posting. This is not about ME... as in I only got 4 responses... this rather about the level of knowledge and level of "community-ness" I feel here. For instance, how many of you read tech journals on a regular basis? How many browse websites sites like InfoWorld.com/ ZDnet.com/ etc. How many of you try to learn from other sources OTHER than just mindlessly surfing PC forums like this?

How many of you know that MS recently released DirectX 9.0 (c)? I found out last week and i did not post it here because i felt like even if i did, it wouldn't be appreciated. In short, I felt like it would be a waste of time to do so. I'm not here for you to kiss my ass and tell me how great my postings are. But I'm raising a point/challenge for the rest of you guyz/girls/geekettes to answer the points I've made in this post.

EDIT:

Maybe i should edit myself and say that i've perhaps chosen the wrong community to belong to. As in many of you don't give a rats patooty about such topics or raising the level of technical 'expertness' or knowledge here. Rather perhaps this is just a kind of forum where people focus more on answering/solving problems. I dunno... you tell me.

I have to say that I have been quit happy with TF Community.

Here I can ask a simple question like "Recommend me a tool so I can change some one's Win Xp Log In" (and other posts like that) with out some smart @$$ excusing me that I have non legitament reason why i am doing it.
Like the few times that i have ask questions like this, there is a genuine reason behind it. Otherwise I would not be asking.

And here I don't feel that I have to reduce my IQ level when I read the post here.
Unlike a few other forums that I can think of ; which is a cess-pit for people who thing they know computer in imho. Eg. the OCAU Off Topic Forum

I think there are some childish posts on the board, but at the same time, there are also a lot of educational posts on the board.
I started off knowing nothing about computers as we all did, but I feel that I can come to the board every day and learn a new thing, from mikes quizzes or just by reading peoples problems and trying to solve them.
I have reccomended so many people to the board because I knwo other people will benefit from it. I am also very proud to say that I am a part of the mod squad on this board.

I do not think that it is an age issue as such..but more of a maturity issue.

it does bug me when someone posts something like I am running windows ME and bla bla bla and then theres 8 posts underneath saying "OMG ME SUXORS" or something like that, These kind of posts need to be deleted and users need to be warned...and if continual post like that occurred, their account needs to be nuked.

Lone Wolf, I value your posts as they are all helpfull and of high quality. If there is information out there to be learnt, I am always willing to have a go at learning it, which is why I enjoy reading articles about new products etc...

I will close this rant off by saying that I have benefitted muchly from this forum, and I hope you (Lone Wolf) and everyone else does too!

:cool:

I joined here about a year ago, at the time I didn't stick around. But I've come back, and I think this forum has it's value. I don't think that there is any forum on the internet that is withou the "OMGHI2U!!!!" type posts or people. But I've found this forum pretty helpful since I've been coming here more often.

There's really only like 2 other forums I'll visit besides this one, and I know a lot of forums. This place does have a wealth of knowledge. And in fact, I never saw your IE Update post, but I'm always looking for updates for my favorite software, and I would have loved to see that post. We need more people like that.

I mainly only hang around the Programming Sections, but I still think I have a good feel for how this forum is running. Believe me, I know a lot more forums that are FAR worse off then this one. I actually like this one becuase it does have intelligent people mixed in.

Sometimes you just have to deal with the bad to get the good. Lonewolf, don't stop making your update posts just because some retards don't know what they're doing, there is others out there (including me) that would really enjoy them.

Thats my 2 cents.

Well when i first posted this I had no clue what sort of responses I would get... pos. or neg. I've read all your replies.... THANK YOU for all your words of encouragement. Especially to you ADZ cuz last time i posted to you, i know i may not have been very courteous and I called you a no-shit sherlock {oops... silly grin} seriously... i normally don't go around calling MODS a 'no-shit sherlock' and it wasn't not my intention to raise a fight w/ you, so thanks for being cool & posting a reply here. And to the rest of you, again, thanks for the words of encouragement - I do appreciate it.

=================================

I should probably shed some further light on my posting by saying that i've been going through a lot of stress in my personal life. Besides losing my parents and my job, (laid off from former emplyer) and dealing other BS, i've been trying to switch tracks and get a tech support job. Any job ... dealing w/ computers... but so many employers are being so picky these days that w/out a A+ cert and IT experience, my resume goes straight into the trash can.

I guess i'm going through this phase right now where I'm thirsty for more knowledge -- more indepth than the typical stuff i've learned in the past few years. I'm not exactly sure which area of IT I want to get into right now, but I'm just itchin for more knowledge. I once PM'd Mike about this and he really showed his age ... lol... Really Mike, i mean that w/ good humour - not as a slam. I had no idea you're only 18 when I PM'd you about this.

His reply was:

"Also, in a tech-support role, you aren't looking to keep it for more than 2-3 years.... Best to start from the beginning and not get in over your head and not learn anything.

When i read that last part, I was like 'huh???' wha da ya mean not learn anything? LOL.. i was like Dude, i'm tryin to better myself by learning somehting new and getting conflicting advice definitely befuddled me! At any rate, thanks for listening to my ramblings.

And yes MB, you're right... i should just chill and have some patience w/ them 'young'ens' as I was once clueless teenager myself.

I know exactly what you mean . I deal with many of teens like these in school and I hate it . Some folks will never grow up .I wish to that there were more people here that contributed along with asking questions , not just doing the latter . To many people spam threads by bad mouthing other people because they think a person's thread is lame because their opinions differ .

I spend far more time on the net looking up hardware/software news than posting because I like to stay informed . Like you said lots of people here don't what DirectX 9.0c is , so I wonder what the mass confusion will be like when DirectX 10 comes around .:amazed: Another thing that bothers me is when a person like you have said on an IE disscusion just butts in and says IE sucks and says get FireFox . Also when in a particular disscusion when a person has already made up their mind to get an Intel processor and is asking a question pertaining ONLY to Intel processors somebody will always have to spam and say get AMD .:rolleyes:

when did u call me a no shit sherlock? LOL I mustve not followed up on that thread...no grudges held mate...but seriously...what did I say that was no shit sherlockish?

ehhhhh...... maybe it wasn't you ADZ... I thought it was... perhaps a mod deleted it before you saw it... I dunno...

It was a thread related to partitioning and i made a response and then you made a response saying 'no, no, that's incorrect ... you dont have to partition' and then i said no sh*t sherlock holmes i never said you had to partition... but ee gads... Maybe it was a different person... i cannot find the thread anymore.

teehee....Cheers? :D

I find most people here to be friendly and very helpful... there is a community feel here and not just people flaming each other all the time and there is some really valuable knowledge floating about the place. I joined a while ago looking for the answer to one problem, but i didnt leave afterwards as I like the place and I find a lot of answers here. I also try to help if I possibly can as you have to keep the cycle going! My only problem here are the posts for "free ipod" or "free laptop" but then you get spammers everywhere... i just wish you could remotely administer electroshock treatment through a persons keyboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom