For those of you in College...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my college we have a computer science society, we get together with the irvine underground and some other groups. We basically help each other and learn from one another, i am a member and we have some really good talent.

Hey Guys,

Well I Was in college we call it TAFE or University here Down Under, but this Club I am invovled in isn't exclusivly for Collerge Students, I am in the local LUG (Linux Users Group) here in Townsville

@ these meetings we organize events, (like the Install fest) and such as well as do presenations on Linux distro's and program software, if we have nothing else to to we might help a couple of people with some Linux issues they are having, but if not we ussually play Wolfenstien ET via Morphix CD.

Jake

Something Sexy said:
For those of you in college, I suppose high school could be included, bu do you guys have computer clubs or computer modding organzations at your school? If you do, how well do they work or how well are they setup that there are active members? Reason I am asking is I am thinking of starting a xtreme modding/cooling club or team, maybe not at a competive level but something for fun or passing on ideas and helping each other build projects. I go to a mainly engineering university, so I don't think I should have a problem finding members, just wondering what else might be out there to give me some ideas.

Well my university does have various clubs, but they are mainly for design purposes. One club makes an automated Helicopter which is supposed to go "search for targets" by itself. It's not remote controlled. There's some kind of competition they participate in with other universities.

Also, there is a solar racing car team. I am sure it has some computer stuff. There is also a biomedical engineering team - which is based off Computer Engineering as well. I think over the years they've had other stuff too.

In anycase, it would be interesting to have a mod/repair club I think. A lot of engineering students are good at designing stuff, but they just haven't spent the necessary time on modding/overclocking and such. Also, they might not necessarily know what's happening/available on the market in terms of good parts and what not. And how much things can be overclocked, etc. etc. B/c this requires talking to other people, reading forums, benchmarks, etc. etc. They might know how a part works inside out, but not performance details, etc.

I think it'll be a very useful club. People can come and ask you guys for advice. Get them started on modding, etc. etc.

EDIT: oh yeah. Computer Science. These guys are a department of their own. I have no idea what they have. Other than to say they have so many clubs I don't even know where to start. :rolleyes:.. All software based though.

I would join any pc/game club at my high school in a second if one existed. I think we could easily start a WoW club or something like that.
Ditto on the girlie techies, too. Woof! :)

theres a guy in my dorm who had a gaming club last year. he said he might try and start it up again. one of the ra's wants to try and set up some lan partys too. its pretty coo :)

Right now im currently allowed to have a Battlfield1942 club in school and i think our tech teacher is going to let me start a Computer club soon. he asked me the other day to re-do the network in his class. Yay, more time out of class lol. :D

assunta said:
I haven't tried on campus UGs usually off campus. We had an informal one (4 members) in our sorority. When we got called nerds (if you think guys have nasty peer pressure, wait till you see the female version) it quickly fell apart. So my best friend and I just joined an offcampus UG. Female techies are kinda rare...and discouraged by other females :(

Haha i didnt read this for along time. Man Girl Techie are Badass wish there was more :D. I'm trying to get my Gf to learn :p hope it works Girls Techies rock. Jsut dont take it personal All you girls have to do is up and Bi*** Slap one another and be done with :p.

macdude425 said:
My high school doesn't have a computer club, and if it did, I wouldn't join. It would end up being up a bunch of idiots with Dells who think they're 1337.

Hahahaha very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom