Third-party cellphone batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
I've had my cellphone for a nice while now. It's an older one that was given to me, an Audiovox MVX 605... It's alright for my type of usage, but the battery life is getting REALLY low. I'm talking like 2 hours of talk time, 5 hours idle, if that.

I've found various sites that sell these batteries, but there are usually two types. The standard Audiovox batteries, and these "Extended life" third-party batteries. And I know that these knock-off batteries have a tendency to explode. I don't know how many cases there are. But I know it's happened.

Should I take the risk of getting my genitals blown to bits by a cellphone in my pocket, and have some "extended" battery life, or stick with the old-fashioned normal battery?

if yr goin 2 the hassle of ordering a battery off the net I would just get a new phone, u could probably get a cheap a*s*s* phone for the price of a battery that is if you don't have the urge to get a trendy 'blackberry' or 'sony walkman'.

New cellphones always include stupid 1 or 2 year contracts. I don't want a contract. I buy calling cards.
And I can get the battery for like 20 bucks. Isn't a big deal.

have you not heard of Pay-As-You-Go,

there is no contract involved,

what ever you like but you will need to upgrade eventually,

what is a call card?

Calling card is pretty simple.
Forget what company sells 'em. But I buy mine at Radioshack. Basically you can get 10, 20, 50, 100 dollar cards. More you pay, the more minutes you get. You just need an activated cellphone, you buy the card, scratch the thing off the back, call the number, that's it. When you're down to your last 5 minutes, they give you a warning each time you call someone, so you know.

EDIT: I still haven't gotten an answer to my question? =/

Although they don't promote this, you can start service with a major carrier with no contract. The thing is, you won't get a discounted price on the phone, you'd have to pay full price.

I've heard (about a year ago) that Nextel does not do this at ALL, however with the new Sprint merge I'm unsure of whether or not that statement is still true. They also don't promote this because the employees get no commission, so now and then you may get an idiot saying "I'm unable to do that without a signed contract, sir."

Do your homework before you look into it though, and make sure you know FOR A FACT which carriers do/don't give you that capability. That way if they do have that option, but the employee says you don't, ask for the manager. ;)

Yeah... I buy phones without contracts.

They never offer nicely made phones with their contracts... so I get any phone, use an app to reprogramme it for my service provider, and pay ~20 bucks a month. Not a bad deal i don't think. thats will all that txting and some dling **** in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom