Thinking to start learning Spanish again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some friends of mine in the states say that their local libraries have Rosetta Stone in multiple languages, free for check out...most definitely worth a shot to see if yours does also :D

Immersion is the best method to learn a language so you should be better than fluent, James. Some people just have a tough time with learning languages, though.

I can stumble through some basic Spanish but that's about it. Should I go to Mexico or another Spanish-speaking country I would attempt to increase that... but I shouldn't have to speak it here in the US for any reason. ;)

No way, Jose. I'll stay right here in the South (with a capital "S").

Move to California.
Reminds me of an email I got a while ago. You guys may have seen it:
Do you know what happened this week back in 1850, 158 years ago?

California became a state.

The State had no electricity.
The State had no money.
Almost everyone spoke Spanish.
There were gunfights in the streets.

So basically, it was just like it is today except the women had real breasts and the men didn't hold hands.

Do you know what happened this week back in 1850, 158 years ago?

California became a state.

The State had no electricity.
The State had no money.
Almost everyone spoke Spanish.
There were gunfights in the streets.

So basically, it was just like it is today except the women had real breasts and the men didn't hold hands.

^ lol ! :p

I actually don't see the point of learning Spanish, everybody now speaks English and soon the main languages other than English will cease to exist.

^ Yeah, right :rolleyes: In the United States, Hispanics are second in numbers only to Caucasians. The only language that will finally cease to exist is Greek :p

I actually don't see the point of learning Spanish, everybody now speaks English and soon the main languages other than English will cease to exist.

Just because they can dose not mean they will, for instance inside the UK borders there is some people who understand english perfectly well but will only speak welsh. Not to mention that while english is the languidge of shiping, commerce and finance on a global arena on a local level people will always use there own.

Not to mention what version of english? Do you want the british flavor or the american or the australian or one of the mirriad of smaller diallects that are eveolving world wide in former colonies?

Well, I dunno. Every time I try to order a burger or get my car washed I end up speaking with abrupt body language because the other person either doesn't know, or refuses to speak English. It's gotten much worse over the last 5-10 years too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom