Think your iPods high quality ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Think again.

Fudzilla - Apple accused of profiteering

An analysis of the iPod Shuffle by market researchers iSuppli shows that Apple is making huge amounts of cash on everyone sold. The people at iSuppli voided their warranty and opened the back of their iPod shuffle to work out the cost of every component.

Apparently the shuffle has found that the components, the headphones, and the packaging it ships in comes to $21.77. This means that it costs Apple about 28 per cent of the device's retail price to make. Even allowing for development or manufacturing costs, iSuppli thinks that means that Apple is making huge profits on the gizmo.

But Apple is not the only one raking in the dosh. South Korea's semiconductor giant Samsung makes the main application chip used in the device, controlling music and costs $5.98. Samsung also supplied the four gigabytes of flash memory, used primarily to store music, at a cost of about $6.

Steve Jobs famously said that Apple did not know how to make a netbook for less than $500 which was not a hunk of junk. However the Shuffle shows that Apple sticks cheap products under an expensive wrapper and charges the earth for it. Apple could easily make a netbook for $200 it just would have to charge $1000 for it.

$22 to make a Shuffle.. what the heck ? i hope this is not true of all ipods.

Honestly does not surprise me one single bit. Always knew they were overpriced...just wasn't for sure on how much exactly ;).

I'm with philibar...I'll stick with my Zune and Sansa :D.

I would get an iPod touch if it wasn't so rediculously over priced. I mean, I could get a Nintendo DSi that has the exact same functionality (minus the music player, but who knows what the DSi could do with a music playing app), plus plays much better games, and comes with 2 cameras and only costs $170.

I think the iPod touch should only cost around $100-150 since they can sell iPhones for $100.

^ Those $100 Iphones are because ATT takes a huge loss of them. But that's probably just a loss on Apple's jacked up price. I knew my Ipod was overpriced but $22 for a Shuffle? Highway robbery.

It makes those knock off Ipod Touches that sell for like $80 seem a lot more legit if you ask me. Probably made with all the same stuff.

To be fair though, the much larger ipods like the classic and 5th gen video etc are good quality sound.

They don't match the Sansa fuse, Cowon D2 or Ipod Imod (an Ipod, but every audio component is changed) though. even the exepensive Walkman players are very good sounding, and better made. Zune are good too.

Now I want to grab one of those knock ups and test it side-by-side. Seriously they're practically giving those things away at Microcenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom