Think your iPods high quality ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I love thinkpads Lenovo REALLY did the brand justice and have continued to do so, my next laptop will be a thinkpad.

Toughbooks my god ever carried one? the weigh a ton an do more damage than a wrecking ball if or when it breaks the desk that isnt a laptop mon frair that is a portable strong box.

Why are these Lenovo laptops so good ? They looked damned ugly.

To be honest, i wanted a MacBook to try something new. In this household, we have 4 windows PC's, 2 dell vostro windows laptops, and my Acer Aspire One windows laptop. I'm getting ever so bored of all these windows and ugly laptops.

I am OS agnostic but I value Unix like OS's more I would just say to oreo get a thinkpad an stick either PCBSD on there or straight FreeBSD.

Oh no Unix is a terrible OS especially for servers.

I went into Barclaycard at my dads work for workexperience, they are about 60percent windows servers and 40percent unix servers. All the servers my dad and his mate eddie were working on held account information, so naturally they have the functioning and running front end of servers, then a backup system, and a 2nd backup system. Then whilst i was there the entire front end went down, the windows servers were back up and running in 2 hours and the Unix ones took over 60 hours to get back up again. I tell you the conversation went like this:

eddie(working on the unix systems): ey, what the, where the files gone ?
dad(windows): What'd you do ?
eddie: Nothing
dad: You on unix ?
eddie: Yeh..
dad: thought so
eddie: pff..

It just seemed like a terrible OS.

Max, BSD an Linux, Solris, AIX, Mac OSX etc are all unix based true they are a little more hands on than windows, but if you ask em it is a **** sight more reliable than windows in the server enviroment **** unix was built as a server OS from the ground up.

The thinkpads are so good because of the hardware quality the after sales support and there build quality make them the serious laptop of choice.

They are not reliable OS's at all compared to the windows servers (in my experience) the windows servers department at Barclaycard as i said is a 60percent share in total servers, and Unix is 40percent share. Yet the Unix mantainence and management department is twice as big as the windows department.. i think that says alot.

Yes okay i will admit, even my dad will say that the Unix servers do go wrong no more than Windows servers, but they take so much longer to get running again. Infact if they are turned off improperly e.g. the power turns off 80percent take 3days to get running, the rest take up to 2 weeks. 90percent of windows servers can be restarted properly within 10minutes.

I must confirm i have little to no experience with Unix as a home OS. So i am open minded about how good it is for that.

Max, you can't walk on the internet without touching linux it has a 90% market dominance of the server market, it's damned easier to support and has a lot better support available for it, I will be honest with you mate if you work in any form of upper level support and don't know some unix fundementals you really should not be as high up as you are especialy in the server support role.

I'm sure its just lack of exposure man, But Muff is right Linux and Unix own the server world and they do a good job. By using Unix you force your potential attackers to sue more archaic means to attack like DoS and such. Its harder to compromise a Unix server through exploits although as macs show, if you don't button it down it can be taken over pretty quickly.

Thinkpads are all about quality components, in the case and in the electronics. If you look at the spec sheet you'll notice they use Intel wireless cards, most OEMs use broadcom. Broadcom is a lot cheaper and not nearly as good. All Thinkpads use Intel wifi to my knowledge. They also use new chipsets whereas some places are still shipping 945 based laptops. And I don't think they are ugly at all. maybe its just preference, but a slick black laptop has a level of class to it. Aluminum and white plastic scream spoiled college kid with a cardigan and a latte, but matte black says you mean business.

Max, you can't walk on the internet without touching linux it has a 90% market dominance of the server market, it's damned easier to support and has a lot better support available for it, I will be honest with you mate if you work in any form of upper level support and don't know some unix fundementals you really should not be as high up as you are especialy in the server support role.

Heh, i'm still at school.

I'm just speaking of what i saw.. and what i have been told by the people that work there.

And what you said about upper level support and not knowing Unix, i have no idea what salary my dad has. But my mum don't work, we're in a 300 to 400k house with 3 cars and a pretty nice life style i would say and my dad only knows the very basic Unix stuff because he hates it and sticks to windows - but he must be getting paid pretty well, so to say you can't and shouldn't be that high up in a job is a bit of an unfounded thing to say.

I will see in time, i suppose.

To be fair though, the much larger ipods like the classic and 5th gen video etc are good quality sound.

They don't match the Sansa fuse, Cowon D2 or Ipod Imod (an Ipod, but every audio component is changed) though. even the exepensive Walkman players are very good sounding, and better made. Zune are good too.

yea my dads boss is an audiophile, and he says the sound quality on his ipod touch and iphone is horrible. he misses his toshiba whitch was the same as the first gen zune, i have a moderate ear for sound and i find my zune to be ok for a mobile device.

I have the older sansa, the e200 which doesn't have very good sound quality compared to the fuze with the original firmware but since I have it rockboxed it sounds amazing once you tweak all the sound settings. If you have bass turned all the way up it doesn't distort it like many other mp3 players do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom