Think your iPods high quality ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Intel and their Extreme series processors? 1 change during fabrication doesn't warrant close to a $1000 price jump in my eyes. Console's don't cost as much as they retail for to manufacture, xbox dropped in price a lot and they still make money off of it. Windows based PC's don't sell for profit, they get money off of the accessories and upgrades and the advertising profits they get from bloatware on the system. Why should mac be singled out for making profits on a product, when it's been pointed out in the past that intel is a solid business because they make money on their stuff such as the 32-bit licensing? Business is business, and if you can make money then great, why should they be condemned for a good business model?

I will admit betting on consumer ignorance is a good business model but that doesn't mean I should worship apple because of it.

I work in retail and each ipod we sell it only makes the store like $10 AUD. This is on a $300 touch. Apple takes every cent of it.

I work in retail and each ipod we sell it only makes the store like $10 AUD. This is on a $300 touch. Apple takes every cent of it.

If that. At circuit city we took maybe like $5 USD off of it. But that's no different than a Sony TV or HP laptop. Most if not all big name consumer electronics are like that in consumer stores. If you look at the mark up though on lets say HDMI cables, you can get a monster cable from your store for close to $100 USD, or if you pay employee pricing (at circuit it was cost + 5%) we paid more like $40 USD. There is some worth that a monster HDMI cable is better than a Joe Schmo brand HDMI cable, but there's a huge mark up on it, purely because people want the deal on the big name item, not the accessories, which is where they make profits from.

I will admit betting on consumer ignorance is a good business model but that doesn't mean I should worship apple because of it.

I'm not implying that you should worship apple, I'm just pointing out a fundamental flaw in the Fudzilla article that points out Apple and paints a black X on them for doing what so many companies are and have been doing for years. I think it's wrong to try and discredit them for making a business decision and no doubt making bank off of it. It's how capitalism works, you sell it you keep going. Apple sells it, so they keep going. They aren't doing anything ridiculous or unethical, they are just doing what other companies are doing.

While I am blatantly defending Apple, I am not doing so because of pure fanboyism. I am doing so because I think it's just lame that they are singling out Apple rather than addressing a common theme of corporations trying to increase profit margins both at the expense of the consumer and the working conditions of the producer (nike shoes).

Pete, I don't think Apple's hardware has the Jesus touch of approval on them or anything, the hardware they use is no different from the hardware that HP or Dell uses I'm sure, and also it's about how you use the computer. For the average person who has an Apple, what they are trying to do on it is probably much different than what you're trying to do on it. All though I will point out that in the 4 days I've had my mac, I've had 2 programs crash. Ironically it's the 2 most native to Mac, iTunes and Safari. So +1 for mac..... :)

HDMI uses digital ;) your monster cable will only be better if your tv is 4+ metres away from its source if under that then your average joe cable will give you equal picture clarity. As its digital the signal won't degrade over such a short distance although there is one saving grace for a monster cable in that the gold plating resorts in less resistance between the connections however this wouldn't cause a noticeable difference from what I have seen.

All though I will point out that in the 4 days I've had my mac, I've had 2 programs crash. Ironically it's the 2 most native to Mac, iTunes and Safari. So +1 for mac..... :)

Yeah, I love it when that happens. Lately, I just stick in XP on my macbook. Though I do have a checkbook program for OSX that I haven't updated it months...oh well. Maybe someday. :p

Honestly does not surprise me one single bit. Always knew they were overpriced...just wasn't for sure on how much exactly ;).

I'm with philibar...I'll stick with my Zune and Sansa :D.

speaking of the sansa i used to have one but i think i killed it. or it just some how died randomly. you ever had any problem like this. mine would never accecpt a charge. poor thing i feel bad for it. you wouldnt have a e280 just laying around would you?

HDMI uses digital ;) your monster cable will only be better if your tv is 4+ metres away from its source if under that then your average joe cable will give you equal picture clarity. As its digital the signal won't degrade over such a short distance although there is one saving grace for a monster cable in that the gold plating resorts in less resistance between the connections however this wouldn't cause a noticeable difference from what I have seen.

Actually.. not true, according to EricB. Signal won't degrade for a LONG time.

Anyway, my new major want is the MacBook Pro. So, £1500 is far to much to me to reasonably save within a year, so.. i was thinking of doing some online fund raising. I dunno.. like, create a blog.. do reviews, and ask people to donate to get me a mac :p Any ideas on this people ? I needz to get teh money somehow (besides, i'll need one for University in a few years)

I'm not going to get really involved, everyone knows what I think and where I stand.

I'll just say this, I think investing in Apple products is a bad investment and you are setting yourself up for a failure. This comes from someone who has 2 macs and 4 iPods and uses one of the macs on a daily basis. That is all.

Actually.. not true, according to EricB. Signal won't degrade for a LONG time.

Even with a monster cable the signal degradation will hit a peak at 15m you then have to use a repeater to retransfer the signal and repair it. You can string upto 5 repeaters onto one data stream through traditional means therefore the max cable length is 75m for a HD video stream.

Actually, looking at what people say on audio visual forums, like AVforums and audioholics, people say they can't notice any difference in a 1080p picture quality until after a cable length of 60foot+

Go figure......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom