They really need to replace CD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
tons of cd's are still being sold.......a lot of the public still doesnt know how to burn their own music, or have music collections and prefer to purchase albums for the artwork.

It wouldnt be that hard to convert older PCs to read cards..
The computers that don't have a card reader.. you can buy even cheaper than $10.
For example if you wanted to have the standard as an SD card.. Amazon sell usb SD card readers for £0.22 and I'm sure if you went on ebay you could find cheaper readers.. which can read more types than just SD.
But if more and more companies started to use SD cards or any other type of flash card instead of CDs then surely computer manufacturers would have to start intergrating them into all there new machines.. and the readers would be need to be produced more.. therefore even if your PC didnt have a card reader.. then you could find an extremely cheap one because so many would be made.

tons of cd's are still being sold.......a lot of the public still doesnt know how to burn their own music, or have music collections and prefer to purchase albums for the artwork.

Lol, all my grandparents can burn a music CD :p Then again I come from a fairly techy family.

It wouldnt be that hard to convert older PCs to read cards..
The computers that don't have a card reader.. you can buy even cheaper than $10.
For example if you wanted to have the standard as an SD card.. Amazon sell usb SD card readers for £0.22 and I'm sure if you went on ebay you could find cheaper readers.. which can read more types than just SD.
But if more and more companies started to use SD cards or any other type of flash card instead of CDs then surely computer manufacturers would have to start intergrating them into all there new machines.. and the readers would be need to be produced more.. therefore even if your PC didnt have a card reader.. then you could find an extremely cheap one because so many would be made.

Okay as i stated above.

1. Who has the money to buy it? I know i dont.
2. Who would be willing to part with a SD Card to send to a friend or family member out of state when they can lose a CD much easier and cheaper.

Think of it. You only have to send 600MB. A Cd size of something. What is going to be more cost effective. Losing a CD to someone across the country or a SD Card? I bet you anyone that knows economics would say CD. It costs them about a quarter for a CD and a few bucks for a SD Card. Which is cheaper to loss knowing you wont get it back?

Yeah SD cards are going to replace them in the future. Yeah they are a decent way to transport data.

But the fact is this. They are not the only means to a end. They are not going to work for everyone. I know that my family would not understand what to do with a SD Card. They are still very much buyers in the PC World.

PC Enthusiasts, like those who have posted in this thread all think that SD Cards should come about cause they find it so easy to work with. Now stand back and think of your parents or grandparents. Would it be so easy for them? How about those people who we help everyday in threads who dont even know what a BIOS is to get it to setup to boot from a CD/DVD? How about those that have never installed a OS? Would it be good for them to try and go to SD?

CD's are NOT going anywhere. Just because the Enthusiasts know how to use them we are the minority. We do not make up the majority of PC users and as such CD's are going to stay.

Sure CDs aren't going anywhere fast and I think that a big reason is their economy, as you said. However I disagree with your second reason because:-
a) CDs are a pain in the neck, whatever your level of technical ability - I have no idea why they would be easier to use than flash memory cards.
b) Why should technology move at the pace of the most technically ignorant?

Think about it though... people who buy there first computer.. say for example an older person. Now that older person goes to a class for learning the basics..
If an card reader had then become kind of the standard for computers.. then surely then that would be covered within that class.. like how to insert and open the contents of a CD is taught in those types of classes.
Yes that only applies to one situation but I think that if one big company decided to change from CD's to flash memory cards..then there would be a demand for SD cards and SD card readers... so way more would be made.. meaning that the price of buying them would become cheaper because they would be created in huge numbers at factories.

Okay as i stated above.

1. Who has the money to buy it? I know i dont.
2. Who would be willing to part with a SD Card to send to a friend or family member out of state when they can lose a CD much easier and cheaper.

Think of it. You only have to send 600MB. A Cd size of something. What is going to be more cost effective. Losing a CD to someone across the country or a SD Card? I bet you anyone that knows economics would say CD. It costs them about a quarter for a CD and a few bucks for a SD Card. Which is cheaper to loss knowing you wont get it back?

Yeah SD cards are going to replace them in the future. Yeah they are a decent way to transport data.

But the fact is this. They are not the only means to a end. They are not going to work for everyone. I know that my family would not understand what to do with a SD Card. They are still very much buyers in the PC World.

PC Enthusiasts, like those who have posted in this thread all think that SD Cards should come about cause they find it so easy to work with. Now stand back and think of your parents or grandparents. Would it be so easy for them? How about those people who we help everyday in threads who dont even know what a BIOS is to get it to setup to boot from a CD/DVD? How about those that have never installed a OS? Would it be good for them to try and go to SD?

CD's are NOT going anywhere. Just because the Enthusiasts know how to use them we are the minority. We do not make up the majority of PC users and as such CD's are going to stay.

Ofcourse CD's are cheeper, They are extremely mass produced on a global basis and are an old technology. Like i said in my first post, it'd take 5 or 10 years. But in 5 or 10 years globally mass produced SD cards will be seriously cheep, i know in the past 5years alone the price per gigabyte has decreased alot. I remember SD cards costing over £30. You can now get class 6 133x speed 16gb cards for £10 to £15.

700mb is perhaps sufficient for now, but even now the size of the CD is huge for the amount of data it holds. The size of all things digital, games, software etc is increasing rapidly. If i went to send someone my holiday pictures, i would have to send them on 10cd's. Fortunately, DVD's are still a good size and serve a purpose. CD's not so, other than holding music and backing up very small amounts of data.

And now lots more people are using HD Camcorders, they will soon become common place, with the majority of cameras recording in HD too. 1080p video on camcorders records at 24mbps at full quality. A 60gb hard drive stores around 3.5hours or 4hours of video. a CD is less than 1/60th of this, what use is that to send to friends ? You'd get about 5minutes of footage.

Card readers are cheep now, imagine if they were produced on the scale DVD drives are. They'd be several dollars. And tiny, too. DVD Drives will not get much cheeper because they use lasers, lasers are expensive and will be for many years.

SD cards are here, everyone is already seeing the advantage of them in Digital Cameras and Camcorders, now they just need to be pushed so they become common place and provide an easy way to distribute large amounts of data to people.

I totally agree with you Oreo, except that SD cards are smaller and much easier to lose :p

CD's are old but I don't think they should go away. I still use CD's all the time more then I use DVD's, and the only time I ever use an SD card is when I use my parents camera. CD's can hold a lot of stuff, 700MB is a lot of space sure its not as much as a DVD or Blu-ray disk but it's still enough for a lot of things.

CD's may be kind of big but I'd rather have a CD over a tiny SD card that I would lose very easily.

I totally agree with you Oreo, except that SD cards are smaller and much easier to lose :p

They'd come in small cases, about 2inches x 2inches, just so small cover art could be applied to the case for music ;) Yeh, that is the only slight problem. SD cards are quite easy to lose, perhaps use CompactFlash then. They bridge the gap between compactness and practicality :)

I have no use for CD's now though. I very rarely want to store less than 700mb of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom