Was there a perfect DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there a perfect DOS
I was definatly not MSDOS 4.

As I rememeber they were bringing out a new version of that nearly every day for that version when it was current.

I would have to say MSDOS6.22 was pretty good.

I havnt had windows xp crash on my computer ever, I dont know what you are talking about.

Using DOS for emails would be stupid, difficult to do, and a waste of space.

I'm fairly sure you either can't have dos and XP on the same drive, or you can but it's a ******* to do.

You'd need a different email client, dont know what one you'd use.

Dos is by no means "uncrashable", windows 95,98, and ME use a dos base kernel and they crash all the time. If you do manage to use it without crashing its just because you don't have software conflicts since only old software will install, and you dont have anything corrupt.

Trust me XP is a massive improvement on dos.

And I'm pretty sure stuff line the space stations and such used Unix, which linux is based on.
If you want something with a command shell, use some version of linux, red hat's the easiest for beginners.

P.P. Mguire said:
Actualy it would be, because Horndude just said they made TCP/IP stacks so you could have interweb ;) Do you not use command prompt to look at IP and other "stuff"? Yea, its DOS.

you can use the internet with DOS, just isnt as easy as it is with OS's that have native tcp/ip support

arachne is a freeware browser that works with DOS and a dial up modem, and its 100% graphic, ive used it and it does work

DOS is still used today in lots of appications that dont need a complex OS to get the job done, mostly manufacturing and controls type environments. In some countries when you buy a computer it may sometimes come with a version of DOS. DOS still has its place in the computer world these days.........but in many cases linux will run just as well and offer a whole lot more options.

the command prompt in DOS is a shell to the OS, in this case command.com which is DOS's normal shell you usually see, but there are others that can be used

windows95 and 98 were nothing more than GUI's that ran on top of DOS, similar to what linux does with X and the various GUI's you can use with it........only with linux the kernel, shell, and Xserver plus GUI are all modular separate parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom