"Techies" on the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, duh...

Just how i see things is that no computer noob should take advice from anyone with fewer than 500 posts on the forums. Otherwise **** happens.

So yeah, ive noticed this and i frown upon it. My favorite one is when ppl give advice for **** they have no experience with.

ANyways, i agree with this thread, and i eagerly await tf2

Which will probly come out some time after i graduate from college
(Im 17 now...)

Sevoma said:
PP is right about some of the old bioses having a "format" capability. The ones I have seen had "low level formatting" which just fills up the hdd with 0's. Low level formatting takes a long time and makes it harder to recover files too.

King X13, you do not necessarily need format.com and dos to format. Linux is a completely different operating system and can format without format.com as well. So can Solaris, *BSD, and Unixes.

sLowLevel.jpg

No fun...I wanted to see PP explain it. :p

This thread is starting to 'class' people knowledge about computers on things that do not matter. Age and Post count mean **** about knowledge.

Anyone in here over the age of 20 prob knows that you dont need a 7,000 dollar pc with the lastest chip that your getting that didnt even come out yet, just to play everquest or something.

Why not people under the age of 20? I know that and i am 15.

just how i see things is that no computer noob should take advice from anyone with fewer than 500 posts on the forums. Otherwise **** happens.

Why under 500 posts? If I spam up to 500 posts then I suddenly become trustworthy to give advise?
Everyone starts with 0 posts no matter how much knowledge they have.

If I am a computer expert from another forum and have been giving great advise for years and I decide to join TF that means I should not be able to give advise?

Jam3s-Zer0 said:
If I am a computer expert from another forum and have been giving great advise for years and I decide to join TF that means I should not be able to give advise?

You have to put in time here, just like everyone else.

No, it means that people shouldn't take your advice. I'm not saying that -- that's just what what's his name ^^up^^ there was saying.

On a more random note -- I just got suspended from a site for 5 days....meh, that's like...one of the first times I've ever gotten in trouble somewheres...ah well, I had it coming. ^_^

brady said:
You have to put in time here, just like everyone else.

Why would I have to put time in to give VALID advise. My knowledge cannot be judged by post count. Someone with 1k+ post may have been 1000 posts of ******** and say someone with 10 posts may be 10 quility posts with good advise.

No, it means that people shouldn't take your advice. I'm not saying that -- that's just what what's his name ^^up^^ there was saying.
Thanks but I know what he was saying and i do not agree with what he said.

Jam3s-Zer0 said:
Why would I have to put time in to give VALID advise. My knowledge cannot be judged by post count. Someone with 1k+ post may have been 1000 posts of ******** and say someone with 10 posts may be 10 quility posts with good advise.

I didn't make the rules buddy. Thats just how tech forums word in general.

The hypothetical people that spam posts (to get higher counts) get banned quickly AND a lot of the post whor3s usually only chat in the offtopic, which doesn't count posts anyways. The people with high post counts have been here for a long time, and have proven themselves.

brady said:
I didn't make the rules buddy. Thats just how tech forums word in general.

The hypothetical people that spam posts (to get higher counts) get banned quickly AND a lot of the post whor3s usually only chat in the offtopic, which doesn't count posts anyways. The people with high post counts have been here for a long time, and have proven themselves.

Sorry to disagree but I do not know of any rules that say, post count + time at forums = you give better advise.

If that is what the majority of TF thinks then they should forget about post count and focus on quality of users posts.

That's a load of crap...there isn't anyone here, myself included, who I would consider qualified except for maybe two people who I can think of off the top of my head, and even then, those two people are specialized in regards to their qualifications

Knowing that X is faster than Y is not attributed to a very high level of thinking, ask people WHY X is faster than Y and most can't tell you apart from perhaps at most a very vague description. And this only applies to hardware considering that is what most people here who considered themselves "specialized" in

ok, I've just thought of a third person who would probably be qualified. Knowing how to format is not a qualification especially considering most people (myself included) wouldn't use DOS base or fsdisk commands anymore and simply use windows installation format utilities

Hypothetical situation is as follows:

You are looking for information on fixing a particular problem with something you know nothing about... Whatever it may be.

Now lets say you decide to visit a forum for this particular thing.

Ok, so now you post your problem in the forum and await an answer. I would feel MUCH better about the information if it was coming from a forum REGULAR who obviously had been there for quite some time as apposed to a new person there that has maybe 200 posts or something...

Remember, the people that USUALLY ask about things around here DON'T know 2 cents about most of the stuff we talk about. Yes, I know there are others who do have a basic understanding of computers or whatever, but those are a little more rare.

So, my point being that WE (as techies ourselves) know that a person with a 200 post count could possibly know MORE info than a person with a 6,000 post count, but for the people that are looking for answers, it is human nature to look for status...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom