Tax refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesspren6

In Runtime
I filed my taxes and paid in the amount I owed for taxes. I got a letter from the IRS with a $300 refund check attaching a letter saying, "We are writing to you because ther is an error on your 2008 Federal Income Tax Return." "We computed your recovery rebate credit for you on Line 70 of Form 1040." "Amount of refund: $300." It is the weekend so I cannot contact them, but I checked on their site and form for the recovery rebate credit and it says if you are a claimed as a dependent you do not qualify for anything. I was wondering if there was a new tax revision or something, but I am 18 and my parents claim me as a dependent.

The real question is did you claim your dependency on your return and have your parents already filed? what form did you fill out ie 1040ez, 1040a or 1040?

Yes, they filed theirs the same time I did and they did claim me as a dependent and I said they claimed me as a dependent.

Good. I have seen situations where dependents have filed their taxes taking their personal exemption and had to refile a 1040x because their parents could not use them as such.

Bend over and take it like a man. The IRS made an "adjustment" to my return and decided to keep $900 of my refund.

Well I got money back, so Im happy with that, but I wanted to know where they figured it out. Everytime I looked at the recovery rebate worksheet it said I wasnt supposed to get the refund but my parents finally figured it out today so that's nice, and I dont have to pay it back. yay! haha So Im gonna use that to pay my car insurance. Thanks for your help tho guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom