Talking tech with the non-savvy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people don't want to talk Tech with me, they just want
1) me to tell them what to buy.
2) me to build them something.
3) me to fix something.

My land lady seems to be doing this. However if it's involves the ADSL Modem Router, I will look at the problem. Otherwise, I am more than happy to take her business else where.

She wants any thing more, and I will be requesting a discount on my rent.

It's never going to go well is it though? I recently tried talking about our new wireless upgrade (Cisco 5508) at work and how we can now launch attacks on our neighbours wireless access points (work is based in a residential area) the person I was talking to was confused...

/Still thinks its really cool...

The part that I am trying to figure out is that I have no problems dealing with my customers at work when it comes down to dealing with computer problems.

However just about every time I am trying to doing the over the shoulder tech support with my father, it finishes off with an argument. For about 20 minutes I was helping my father re-set is yahoo account password as he forgot it again. He has a lovely habit of saving all these important user names and passwords on a pieces of paper. They get lost or thrown out by mistake.
Anyways, I finally got him to reset the password. He finally managed to log in. And then he get the ****s with it as he was pressing the above task bar for his email client and not firefox , thus making Mail come to the front. So he just get the ****s with it and turns off the computer. So I am stuck thinking "Why did I even brother" :rolleyes:

It annoys me how my father put crap on windows users just because he had one bad experience with Windows 3.1, and yet he does not even know how to use his computer.
It annoys me how my father seems to want to bug me first for computer help. I try to convince him to try out forums. If not TF, then some other MacBaced forum, and then find out the answers for yourself and appose to relying on other people to do it for you. And then getting angry again when the answers are not want he was originally asking for or are incomplete.

I'm fine talking to my not tech savvy friends about computers. I find it funny when people argue over weather HP or Dell makes faster computers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom