Talking tech with the non-savvy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbers

Solid State Member
I've noticed how a lot of us are perfectly fine with discussing software/gaming with others like us, but the moment we start talking to their non-tech savvy friends, the geek talk dies.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys are comfortable with discussing technology with your non tech savvy friends, or recommending software/games to them?

If you are, why? If not, why?

I have my theories, but I wanna see what everyone else thinks.

I'm always comfortable talking about tech, but I usually don't with the non-savvy. Reason being that once I start speaking the tech jargon they just loose themselves into space.

It's kinda the reason why my personal friends and family think I'm the quiet person. I don't talk much because I know if I start talking it'll get too technical, and they will just stare at me.

I try to adjust my talk to the tech-level of my audience. If somebody asks about something I'm knowledgable about I'm happy to explain, but I won't volunteer information, for fear of it falling on deaf ears.

Most people don't want to talk Tech with me, they just want
1) me to tell them what to buy.
2) me to build them something.
3) me to fix something.

Most people don't want to talk Tech with me, they just want
1) me to tell them what to buy.
2) me to build them something.
3) me to fix something.

^ This.

For me it's just easier to oversimplify things by just saying, "I'll look at it" then explaining it and receiving a blank look on his/her face.

I'm always comfortable talking about tech, but I usually don't with the non-savvy. Reason being that once I start speaking the tech jargon they just loose themselves into space.

It's kinda the reason why my personal friends and family think I'm the quiet person. I don't talk much because I know if I start talking it'll get too technical, and they will just stare at me.

I do the first part and when i see the doe eyes I know they are mine...

Nha seriously though I have just got used to dumming **** down, when some one brings me a crappy old comp with RAM BUS and a P3 I say to them it would be like sticking a F1 engine in a Fiesta, and they would be better buying a new machine. That normally gets the point across.

I like to talk tech, and luckily, most of the people I know don't mind it. I post ads on Craigslist for PC repairs, and give the people the chance to sit with me while I repair the computer, so they can learn a little. There's a few that don't like the thought of it (mainly older people, 50's-70's), but a lot of people even pay me extra for the "learning experience". It does take a little bit more time to fix the problem, 'cause I usually have to explain step by step, but they refer their friends/family to me, so it comes around nicely.

Talking Tech with non-tech savvy people is has been part of my job for a long as I can remember. Over the years I have found that people seem to understand cars more than computers.
Number of Pistons in Engine = CPU Speed.
Fuel Capacity = Ram or CPU Cache.
Fuel Tank Size = Hard Drive Space.

As for my friends, thankfully most of my friends seem to know what they are doing with computers and we normally help each other out. I do have some friends where i need to spoon feed them, however it get down to a point where i will tell them to take to a computer repair person (and not me).

I will help my friends in given them a push in the right direction on these matters. However if i have to start installing windows and back up hard drives, i better be getting some thing in return. I got one of my friend's mom's who is constantly complaining to me that her computer is not working. And I keep reminding her that he needs pay money and take it to a computer tech. This computer has been sitting idol 18 months now, and she's still expecting me to fix it....... some day

When it comes to selling your friends a computer, my advise is this...... DON'T!!!! Unless they know how to use windows and sort out their own problems on the computer, the last thing you want is be treated like their own 24/7 On Tap Techie. Seriously, i have been there a few times and it can get very nasty.

^ that makes no sense to me lol

I do a lot of 'fixit' stuff for people I know, I just keep it simple when I'm explaining what's gone wrong.

I find using libraries as an analogy works better.
Lots of librarians = Fast CPU
Experienced librarians (e.g. memory of where stuff is) = memory
Library size = Hard Drive Space
Books = Hard Drive Sectors
etc.

I know I've gone to 'techy' on someone when they start making weird expressions with their faces. Jaw goes slightly slack, lifeless eyes, a little drool in the corner of the mouth. You know the look :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom