Synthetic Oils and Maybe Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

veg1992

Golden Master
Well, since I'm a couple of weeks away from getting the car, its a 2006 Sentra 1.8 S Special Edition (my parents dropped the budget) but I'm getting it for like $7,500.

But, I was looking at stuff that increases MPG and stuff and I saw that people claimed that Synthetic Oils in your car actually boosts MPG, any truth in this or what; checking Google, people are saying yes..

Keep your hybrid, I'll take a Sentra - 2006 Nissan Sentra - Epinions.com

I was thinking a new Air Filter (because I'm very sure that the previous owner messed it up bad) and maybe Synthetic oil. (Since my dad will be in Maryland, we're taking a house here, his apartment there, his Quest there and my car here, so any ways to pinch pennies on this car is great!)

I don't know that synthetic oils will do much for mpg's. But it will keep it's oiling properties longer then conventional oils.
One thing you want to know about synthetic oils is once you change from conventional to full synthetic. You can't go back to a conventional oil.

A k&n style air filter (lifetime) will help MPG's slightly, but usually people notice such huge gains because they take out a very clogged up filter when they changed it.

Other than that, it's all about driving style to get good gas mileage.

EDIT: here is a video just to show you how much MPG's can change. :p

YouTube - Toyota Prius vs BMW M3

I had a k&n in my rodeo, and I noticed a good improvement, basically better HP, therefore less gas need for same situations.

Syth oil has the advantage as it keeps its properties over its life time. I have seen Horse Power where they ran a dyno on regular oil and Syth, and there was a very noticeable change.. However, they did all the fluids, trans rear end. Nogt sure how that works on fwd though.

I will say this, synthetic will NOT increase mileage, BUT, it can help keep mileage up.

Best thing to do, is buy a HIGH quality oil filter, and oil, with the proper weight, and a good air filter such as a K&N, or one of the Napa filters.

When buying a synthetic oil, do research, a lot aren't pure, only a few are, most are just blends of syn and dino, also make sure it has a decent amount of detergents. Next, every oil change, atleast run some fuel injector cleaners, Chevron Techron is some really good stuff, expensive, but really nice.

Also, it is a myth, you can use dino or synthetic, only different really involving leaks is that synthetic oil is designed to get into extremely small cracks to prevent the molecules from breaking down, when compared to conventional, so if you have used dino for 100k miles, and then throw conventional in, if you get a leak, it is mostly like that the pin hole in which ever gasket thats leaking, has been there for awhile, and the syn is just leaking out.

Also, while extremely expensive, Royal Purple is some REALLY good motor oil, pure synthetic, and is one of the VERY few shown to prevent sheering compared to others on test machines, it almost makes a coating of oil on all the parts that doesn't go away nearly as quickly as other synthetics.

New O2 Sensors, clean the throttle body with Seafoam, new plugs and wires, PCV Valve, air filter and an engine flush.. And throw a can of seafoam in the gas as an injector cleaner. Please don't 'mod' that car, just drive it and enjoy it. So basically a tune up. You can get a K&N air filter if you want but any 'gain' felt will be a mental mod if any.

They taught us about seafoam in automotive tech school.. I use it and I SWEAR by it!

Here's a tutorial, and it's fun to smoke the neighbors out! :D
How To Seafoam Your Car - LS1TECH

seafoam.gif

I would recommend synthetic oil for the added protection of daily driving. there's no performance gain.. Any MPG gain will be minimal.

Seafoam does work wonders :D then again I used it on a car that was about to be hauled off to the death yard, but it gave the car a pulse again.

^ AHHA! Testimonials! :D

I used it on my 95 F-150 when I first bought it.. I seafoamed the crap out of it over the next 6 months, and that truck runs like a CHAMP now! Not to mention a full tune up and advanced the timing. That little 5.0L extended cab truck will bark the tires now.. :D

New O2 Sensors, clean the throttle body with Seafoam, new plugs and wires, PCV Valve, air filter and an engine flush.. And throw a can of seafoam in the gas as an injector cleaner. Please don't 'mod' that car, just drive it and enjoy it. So basically a tune up. You can get a K&N air filter if you want but any 'gain' felt will be a mental mod if any.

They taught us about seafoam in automotive tech school.. I use it and I SWEAR by it!

Here's a tutorial, and it's fun to smoke the neighbors out! :D
How To Seafoam Your Car - LS1TECH

seafoam.gif

I would recommend synthetic oil for the added protection of daily driving. there's no performance gain.. Any MPG gain will be minimal.

By modding I didn't mean like rice it haha

Just basic stuff like you know the Air filter (is that considered a mod?)

ricing is making a car "look" faster but not actually increasing performance.

sentras have a lot of performance mods that can be done, but for lots of $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom