Surfing with a dinosaur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Well, I finally did it. I unhooked my DSL from my computer, and took the modem to my daughter's room, where I hooked it up to the old Packard Bell.

Yeah, you read right. A Packard Bell. A Multimedia s606, with a Pentium II 233MHz processor, a whopping 32MB of Ram, and a gargantuan 4.3GB hard drive.

Well, it took about an hour to get the DSL software installed. And about an hour and a half to update the Windows 98 that is on it (with all of the restarts it requires). I put AAdAware on it, and of course I put Firefox on it. In fact, I am on this site right now using the old Bell.

Man, nothing like having to suffer through all of this to make you really appreciate just how much faster and more efficient today's CPU's and hardware is compared to the stuff of way-back-when (as in this computer is about ten years old or so...the 333MHz had just hit centerstage when I bought it).

Well, at least I know that it can handle the DSL now, and I got the Windows 98 updated before Microsloth dropped the support for it. But, as soon as I get/build her a computer, I'm making this one a Linux box!

Microsloth. Nice.
Yup, the good ol' 333MHz. That was like out first comp. Then we bought a 953MHz (which is what I'm typing on currently). Now my bro and I got the 21st century, 2.whatever GHz comps. :D

I wonder how many of these old clunker systems are still online? The original modem died in my Bell after a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom