Super bored -_-

Buying an actual set can be a legal grey area depending on your country, so make sure you check that first.
yeah I know that :p. And like you said, has to be done on locks you actually own.

To start off with, all you'd probably need are two picks: a classic short hook and a rake. See this pic (forget about the top one, just the bottom two).

The rake works like it sounds; put a slight tension on the lock with your tension wrench, then just shove the rake in and rake it back and forth. The idea being that most locks are so badly made with such loose tolerances, that simply jostling the pins around will get them to stick and and unlock. I've found that most locks outside are so badly cared for that you can almost accidentally unlock it by simply pretending the rake is a key. Literally insert and *oops* it's already open :( it really highlights how silly it is to think of something "locked" as "secure".

The other one is for when the rake doesn't work and you need to set each pin individually. Mr Towne will give you tons of great tips on how to feel out pins

edit: and I should add, start with a lock that doesn't have a massively long key; any of the usual brass little locks are great to start with.

I've looked into it a little bit a few months ago, and thought about getting one of the smaller sets with different picks + tensioner + rake, and a practice lock (like ones that are cutaway) just to get used to how the pins work.

HA I wanted to get a decent set myself but ended up making rough set myself out of the metal strapping that crates come strapped shut with, opened quit a few toolboxes at work when people either lost or forgot there keys and needed to get into them. Though I would still like to get a decent set but wouldn't want to order online just so my name isn't ever "attached" to buying anything just in case. Might have to find some place that has them.

Go find the ugliest and oldest PC you can find at a garage sale. Start with a, relatively, heavy linux distro and work yourway lighter and lighter until you have something that actually is functional. Then cry a little.

Back
Top Bottom