Suggesting unnecissary hardware....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes you wonder what people did just a few years ago doesnt it?I mean it hasnt been very long since 400mhz was fast.I hear folks all the time thinking you need a high end machine for photo editing, pfft, no you dont.Computers hit the overkill zone for home use when they got to about 700mhz, after that its usually unused power.Same with general business use as well.I think if more folks actually took the time to learn how to use their systems and find out what makes them work, the urge to constantly upgrade would diminsh big time. Like Nubius I found a 700-900mhz machine sufficient for all but very graphically intense games, and it even plays some of those fairly well.

As Im typing this my 800mhz duron w/128mb ram and el cheapo geforce card is ripping a dvd@18fps,dowloading 5 torrents@90KB/sec,and running 4 other apps in the background and still only using 112mb of RAM, makes one wonder, just how much machine does one need?I can see if your editing video all the time or playing games 24/7, other than that why?

beedubaya said:
Why is it at this forum even if some old lady asks what specs she needs to check her email and surf the net, there will be people suggest Athlon 64 processors and GeForce 6800s! That is plain stupid in my opinion. I am not directing this at anyone in particular, but don't you think thats just rediculous? I was reading a post earlier where somebody suggested an X800XT P.E. to somebody for photo editing. Come'on man, most average to hardcore gamers don't even have that card. My point is here, its one thing to suggest a high end gaming system to a gamer, but some of these people would be fine with Dells and there are people suggesting 6800s to them...lol. Just my opinion.

Your not the only person here that thinks that.

But then again, I have some idiots that call me asking for a suped up gaming rig that so they can surf the internet and read email. :rolleyes:

When I use the computer and stuff I think 1.5 ghz (in amd) is the minimum I would ever want to use. I used to have an old Pentium MMX 233 mhz machine that was so sloooooow. I hated it. Yes it's true alot of it is overkill.

It really depends on what you use the computer for. If you are a hard-core gamer, of course you are going to want a high-end machine. However, if all you do is get on the computer to surf the net, check your email, and maybe edit your digital photos, and play an occasional game, then these new AMD 64s and 6800/X800 graphics cards are indeed overkill, and by getting them for the purposes I mentioned, you are wasting perfectly good hardware.

LMAO :p bleh...I need these specs because I play graphics intensive games. The lady in that other thread wanting to photo edit doesn't.

beedubaya said:
LMAO :p bleh...I need these specs because I play graphics intensive games. The lady in that other thread wanting to photo edit doesn't.
Lost count the number of time that i have had some one call me up for a hard core gaming graphics card just so they can do photo editing.

you can do pretty good photo editing on a computer like mine, and it's just a TNT2 and a 500MHZ Pentium 3
it's games and servers that take up the most power of all computers, and servers don't need super graphics cards; most of the time a TNT2 would do good on a server, it's the CPU they depend on

for the big gamers that come here, sure, go for a 6800, I wouldn't mind one myself but 95% of users don't need much more than what I've got now

Yea, like if I had a good graphics card, and sound :( I would play games on my computer. When I had sound, and my computer was "top of the line" it was nice to play games on it. But ever since the sound went out, I've had no reason to play games, plus, my video gets messed up when I play games now anyway. But yea, if I had a good computer, graphics and sound, I would definently be playing graphicly intense games.

yeah, i am happy with midrange (midrange to an intense gamer) especially since I upped my 3dmark03 score to 5282 just by tweaking with the settings. all this hype with highend graphics crads and cpu's is more a vanity thing than anything else. "ooooooooi have this and it can get a benchmark of this and oh i have a 10ghz cpu and, oh yeah, alli do is check my email and TF but hey, ITS FAST. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom