stupid cars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha, close, but wrong idea.

turning it into a pre-runner, as soon as we get the v8, were getting bigger rims/tires, putting a lift on it, and getting it painted.

and as i said, i took a few pics, but i was on the phone with my friend during the whole thing, so i couldnt take any (i had to use my cell, other camera broke)

pic of my sound setup out there
01-08-08_1751.jpg

the whole exhaust system minus the headers
01-08-08_1752.jpg

some shots inside of the cat

01-08-08_1753.jpg

01-08-08_1754.jpg

and the headers
01-08-08_1755.jpg

took me about an hour and a half to remove the entire system, most of the time looking for tools and trying to loosen a stuck bolt, ended up snapping it.

Well thats one way of getting off. I hate that when I work on older cars the bolts tend to snap on me a lot. Last time I did it the bolt snapped off in the block and I had to take it to a machinist to get the stupid bolt out.

yea i just had that happen to me on an '01 Monte Carlo SS. I had to get the cat replaced. $431 bucks for it. Luckily my g/f's dad is a mechanic, and he gave me his price, with no labor... :D

yea i just had that happen to me on an '01 Monte Carlo SS. I had to get the cat replaced. $431 bucks for it. Luckily my g/f's dad is a mechanic, and he gave me his price, with no labor... :D

You should have just went to Summit Racing and picked up one of theirs for $160.

well i got it all cleared out and put back together, i guess theres a deeper problem.

i was looking into it, and the main reason for a cat failure is the motor running too rich (or a cylinder missing, or not firing at all) and the truck is completely gutless, so i guess i gotta get new plugs/wires

That sucks. I think the 2.6L in your truck is real close to the one in mine.

When I picked the truck up I put a new battery, air cleaner and an oil change in it and ran it. Haven't had any problems at all. I am still going for new plugs and wires next oil change to see if it improves my gas mileage.

heres my to do list for the next week:

1. get 5gal of 91 octane gas
2. clean distribuiter/plugs, check plug wires
3. new plugs
4. new plug wires
5. change motor oil
6. fix transmission gear selector linkage (it streches the gears, P=P, R=P, N=R, D=R, H=N, L=D....pretty weird, gotta get that fixed
7. new air filter

and if it still runs like garbage, clean the carburetor (dont want to do that, i got a pic somewhere to show you guys the mess i see every time i remove the airbox)

01-09-08_1456.jpg

its a mess, but its getting there, trying to get it the best i can. the last time it ran (about 3 months ago) i could hold the brake and floor it and spin the back tires, now all it does is bog at about 2krpm , and in drive floored it takes like 5s to reach 20mph. something is really wrong with it, and it idles at about 900rpm, put it in drive, it idles about 500rpm and starts sputtering about ready to stall. (did this before the cat went nuts, so it makes me suspect that a cylinder ceases to fire, which was dumping extra fuel to the cat which made it so hot)

do you have a temp. gun of any sort?

If so check the temp of each exit on the manifold. If one of the exits has a much lower temp then the rest I would suspect it as the dead cylinder.

But it would knock horribly if it was only running on 3 cyl.

Replace the fuel filter too.

And replace the oil filter while you're changing the oil (just making sure you consider that a part of your oil change...if not, then duh)

If you end up taking off the carb to clean it, don't turn it upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom