A story about how certain brands seem to "just work."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
So my dad has to drive 45 minutes to work. He drives a fuel rig. The opportunity came up to "house" his rig at a newly bought gas station 5 miles away, so he acted on it. The catch? He has to fax his paperwork to/from work. Easiest solution is to update our aging Lexmark printer which hasn't worked right since day one with an all in one and just fax from home. He COULD fax from the gas station 5 miles away but that one isn't always available unless you want to wait for a while.

So my parents came home with a Lexmark all in one. I cringed. Having a lot of experience with Lexmark in the school district I work at I could see how the movement to HP-only was made. But, whatever, I hook it up, test the fax, it's great, etc. So a few days later, the fax wouldn't work. We consulted the manual, google, and ultimately Lexmark. They seemed convinced something was wrong on our wiring. But on top of that, the actual fax was VERY light when the person received it... IF they received it. It seemed like the printer had "moods." Sometimes it'd work, other times it wouldn't - All without leaving the wiring completely alone. Even with darkness and photo settings adjusted, the fax was often too light to read. After multiple calls, I just said I want a new one, period. Well, that's what I got. So we get a new Lexmark all in one and it seemed really nice compared to the last one. Got it working and we were all like great now we can just forget about all of these issues in the past, etc.

Not even a week went by and the new one was doing the exact same thing. So my mom takes it upon herself to call since she's heated. After arguing for an hour and not backing down, she got a full refund of what she originally purchased the original printer for - good thing to keep receipts I guess!

Then she went out and grabbed an HP all in one. Tested it multiple times, the faxes come through bright and really dark without even changing any settings. It was unbelievable to see how much nicer it was.

What was the cost difference between the original Lexmark that got refunded and the HP? 10 dollars.

A very important lesson:

It's so nice when things "just work." This is why I avoid Lexmark.

The only problem I have had with Lexmark is to do with there ink's an while they are available every ware and for "official" cartridges they are some of the cheapest around they have been showing a tenancy to split around the mould lines and leak ink all over the inside of the printer.

I've never had the best luck with them at work, but I also have to assume people beat the crap out of whatever we give them.

But as of recently I've had 3 reasons to dislike them entirely.

Lexmark X2500
Lexmark X5650
Lexmark X6510

My ancient Epson is still rockin on though! Epson and HP are what I'll consider next time I have to grab a printer.

In every office we have, we only use HP for pinters/copiers/fax machines. Even my cheapo boss will spend the extra buck to get it..it's just not worth the hassle in the end when you get a crap machine. It takes away valuable time when you find yourself have to re-fax 15 times or when you end up throwing the crap one out the window. HP always, for those machines.

HP is the only printer brand I ever go for, been that way for a long time. Lexmark is usually not very good, Epson's refill prices are a joke, Brother print quality usually sucks, etc. Plus, with HP if I want refills I can just go to Cartridge World and get refills. I was paying like $8 for a black and $12 or $14 for a color one last I checked.

HP is the only printer brand I ever go for, been that way for a long time. Lexmark is usually not very good, Epson's refill prices are a joke, Brother print quality usually sucks, etc. Plus, with HP if I want refills I can just go to Cartridge World and get refills. I was paying like $8 for a black and $12 or $14 for a color one last I checked.

I find Epson generic carts on Ebay are littered all over the place.

I spent 30 dollars and got 4 full SETS of ink. My printer takes 4 cartridges per set. That lasted me a good 2 years.

I must admit my photo printer is a cannon i9900 and it is great as well of the myriad of HPs that I have owned.

The Ink is spendy. 8 cartridges at $12 a piece. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom