Stop me from doing this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could edit your hosts file so they wont load in any browser, or I am sure that there is a Firefox extension that would do it.

If you would like to do the first one, open your hosts file in a text editor:

Windows 95/98/Me - c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro - c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP Home - c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Linux - /etc/hosts

and add in the following lines at the bottom:
Code:
127.0.0.1  digg.com
127.0.0.1  bbc.co.uk
127.0.0.1  techbargains.com
127.0.0.1  slashdot.org

Now if you try to go to one of those sites it should say that the server is unavailable or something similar.

yah if you were really THAT addicted that you need to ask on a forum how to block the site, you'll prolly end up reversing the process later to access it again. I say rehab.

Greg said:
You could edit your hosts file so they wont load in any browser, or I am sure that there is a Firefox extension that would do it.

If you would like to do the first one, open your hosts file in a text editor:

Windows 95/98/Me - c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro - c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP Home - c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Linux - /etc/hosts

and add in the following lines at the bottom:
Code:
127.0.0.1  digg.com
127.0.0.1  bbc.co.uk
127.0.0.1  techbargains.com
127.0.0.1  slashdot.org

Now if you try to go to one of those sites it should say that the server is unavailable or something similar.

Impressive, whats your field ?

I'm still a student, I just came across this one day on the web and I use it to block potentially harmful websites and ad servers (if you would like to do this just Google 'hosts file' or something and it should bring up a list of sites you should block).

I just use dailyrotation.com and get the top 100 headlines from over 300 sites, plus the headlines from the sites I choose (which includes Digg, Slashdot, theinquirer.net, The Register, DailyTech, TGdaily, and a whole lot more).

Sorta like one stop shopping for tech news.

m4a1 pt2 said:
think again, I have a 3.64 in electrical engineering so far. I can do it, I want that 4.0. Those sites are the reason for the decrease from 4 to 3.64, and maybe cs

i'm guessing CS more so than visiting websites. just don't do it. that's all. if you can block it, you can easily unblock it. you need to rely on yourself, not technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom