stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Invest in Intel. They are doing so well for themselves right now, you'd be a fool not to.

I regret not buying AMD when they were @ 6.00, too bad. I don't know what the rumor is in regards to IBM buying out AMD, but it's a weird because IBM was always about services and not hardware. Maybe they were once into hardware, but they changed their marketing strategy.

it was leses than that at the end of the year last year. in october, it was like 15 a share.
when AMD's price rises again like that....i'm goin to make a killin...muah ha hah...;)

i dont believe this is true. we are just in a slump because the market stuttered and investors panicked (no offense) and pulled their funds out prematurely (which is often the case). i'd suggest weathering it. the economy will be booming again in less than a year.
it's not even the fact that he thinks the economy is going to crash that's funny...it's that he plans to sell off his MUTUAL FUNDS (low growth, long-term investments) AS SOON AS POSSIBLE at a LOW PRICE. he's going against every rule of investing there is.... he's going to be like all of the other retards who panicked when the stock market first took a tumble in October and sold off their stocks only to see the market rise back again.

the market always takes falls and makes gains in short-term segments.... but over time, the market goes up. you don't buy and sell mutual funds based on short-term fluctuations....

buy low, sell high. it's a pretty simple concept, really. but people always freak out and mess it up

Invest in Intel. They are doing so well for themselves right now, you'd be a fool not to.
well their share prices are pretty low right now...not a horrible time to get in. but there has been an antitrust probe launched against Intel. keep that in mind

the market always takes falls and makes gains in short-term segments.... but over time, the market goes up. you don't buy and sell mutual funds based on short-term fluctuations....

Hear, hear. Don't buy and sell anything based on short-term fluctuations. The US has been in 10 recessions since the 40s and come back bigger and better from all of them. The only reason stuff like that happens is because one aspect of the market may be doing poorly, one big-wig on Wall St. mutters the word "recession" and everyone freaks and so the market actually does plummet for absolutely no reason. Now's the best time to buy! You can get great companies for cheap! Just because the market is doing poorly, doesn't mean Intel or Google or Msft or Nike or McDonald's, etc, aren't and won't do just as well as they always have. Buy 'em up cheap now and watch the numbers go up when the market resettles, probably before the end of the year. ;) The shortest recession during the last century was only a few months long and the longest, about a year and a half. No sweat.

I tried that investing simulator...

I already lost $70 on $1,000 of stock purchases.

I bought some shares in intel, staples, sony, and some pharmaceutical company that just had a breakthru in DNA research....

If things don't start looking up... This might not be the thing for me.

I tried that investing simulator...

I already lost $70 on $1,000 of stock purchases.

I bought some shares in intel, staples, sony, and some pharmaceutical company that just had a breakthru in DNA research....

If things don't start looking up... This might not be the thing for me.
eh..you live and you learn. you have to learn all of the ins and outs of the market. p/e ratios, dividend, etc. Honestly, you should buy a book about that stuff and start reading if you want to make money without getting lucky.

on a side note, Hitachi has been doing surprisingly well while most other tech stocks have plummeted.

You can't go wrong with Intel. They were at $18 weeks ago, but their 5-year outlook looks great. The only thing that will hinder them is if they have defects, similar to what AMD is going through right now.

it was leses than that at the end of the year last year. in october, it was like 15 a share.
when AMD's price rises again like that....i'm goin to make a killin...muah ha hah...;)

AMD on the other hand doesn't look so good right now, but they still have a great potential to get back up there. The second half of this year promises profit rolling in and new shipments to correct the problems of their Barcelona chips or something like that. I haven't heard any news regarding to IBM buying AMD at the moment so maybe the deal went sour.

But for sure, I'm going to purchase some AMD stocks and hope that it doubles after a year.

Recently, Dell is restructuring their market for AMD equipped PCs. Apparently, their main website will no longer include AMD machines but will continue to market AMD through some retailers.

Don't forget about the tax man. You should read up on taxes in relation to investments.

Short term capital gains tax Vs long term capital gains tax. Disqualifying dispositions Vs. qualifying dispositions. There is just an insane amount of info you need to keep track of if you have any money in it.

Also, You will almost certianly have to file a 1040-D which lists the stock, the stock's purcahse price, purchase date, sell date, selling price, loss or gain.... for EACH and EVERY stock after it is sold. If you trade a lot you'll have a lot of stuff to fill out. I wish I would have kept a daily log of activity.. :(

My taxes were a nightmare to figure out this year.

If I could give one piece of advice, when you do get your money in, leave it in for a while. You can cut your tax from 28% down to 15%. You kept 13% of your profits right there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom