Stock market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrothrillah

In Runtime
Just wondering if anyone here is buying/selling stocks? If so what stocks are you buying and why?

I myself have some shares in GOCH (Geeks on Call) which are supposingly going to be like the geek squad of Wal-Mart in the near future, also some in MUR (Murphy Oil Company) which I bought in at $32 per share and have since rose 16 points as of right now.

Any opinions are welcome as well, just want to see how this goes.

Yes I bought Citigroup at $1.80 and made BANK today! It has been a great investment I'm so excited!

I'm not so sure how well this will hold... I'm very tempted to sell. Bulls and bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.

It's not all that risky. People make it out to be like you should stay out of it and buy gold and do this...blah blah. The stock market is a psychological game. I bought some gold shares awhile back, which is considered risky, made 5x the investment put in to it.

Congrats on the turnover on Citigroup. It's up quite a few points from 1.80 :)

I think my dad bought some stocks in Barclays, HSBC and a spanish back that i forgot the name of. But he works at Barclaycard.. and new about how much money and stuff a few banks were going to make for Q1 of 2009 before the media and majority of stock market did. Spent about £700, i think he made about £600ish porfit, could of made more, because he hold on to them to long and they started dropping he didn't make so much - silly man !

It's not all that risky.
I'll put it a different way;
If you buy shares on their own, they have the potential to go down to zero.

Okay, they probably won't go to zero. But shares do go down just like they go up (in fact, shares tend to go down faster than they go up), and you are going to be wrong about the direction a lot of the time.

It is possible to enter trades in which you severely limit the possible downside, while having a larger upside;

Basically, every trader is going to make losing trades. The most successful ones are good at not just making money when they're right, but also at not losing money when they're wrong (and they will be).

Everything has a losing potential.

But, the more knowledgable you are in a certain company, you're in the right direction. For instance insiders are often an awesome clue as to whether or not you should invest in to that particular stock.

Then again, you have to watch for the media as well, they have to most influence on stocks and if they are talking down of any one company, count on lost points.

Not encouraging anyone to buy/sell - just want to see who's in.

Everything has a losing potential.
Yeah, and the only question is how much.

But, the more knowledgable you are in a certain company, you're in the right direction.
You're always going to have losing trades. Always. No matter how well you think you know a company, there are always unexpected events.

For instance insiders are often an awesome clue as to whether or not you should invest in to that particular stock.
I'm pretty sure any legitimate insider information is also illegal.

But anyway, my point is, if you want to be successful at trading, you need to learn not just to make money when you win, but also to not lose money when the trade isn't going in your direction (and you will always have losing trades).

Insider information isn't always good though. At Circuit City we were all told by 'corporate' that there were 2 buyers and it was just a matter of how much money/time we'd get, and over the weekend we found out that we were being liquidated. So always take insider information with a grain of salt and don't put all your money on that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom