Stealing Software 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
well put, ATIRAGEPRO. Thats basically what I was implying... not quite as bluntly lol but u said it all :D

thanks again
:D
Al

Nope. What I am saying is stealing is wrong and there is no excuse or reason that makes it right and it is the individual personÂ’s choice to make that decision.

This makes no sense to me:
So youÂ’re excuse for making up excuses is that youÂ’re NOT making up excuses for stealing?

I already stated that I stole because I didnÂ’t care. ThatÂ’s not an excuse, I simply donÂ’t care. It really is that easy.

The point I was attempting to get across is that stealing is wrong no matter what.

I didn't think that "I was coming after" anyone. Sorry you perceived it that way. I thought I was merely conversing in a topic.

I heard a saying once: “Sometimes it is better to do the wrong thing for the right reasons, than to do right thing for the wrong reasons.”

What that means, in the context we are speaking, is that it is better to steal food to feed your starving family, than to let your family starve because it is wrong to steal.

PS. Wanting or “needing” software is not a reason to steal it. I hope that all this makes more sense to you now.

BTW, I am selling a car (a rather large custom van) and have been told by one guy that I wanted too much. I hope he doesn't steal it.

Let's put it this way. I don't believe situation ethics is RIGHT. Stealing is always wrong!

My statements are not issues around who has stolen and what was stolen and for what reason they stole (I'm not an angel). My statements are not about who needs and who wants. My statements are just to say that "stealing is wrong."

The thing I get tired of hearing is how people try to justify something that is wrong. Everyone has all their own personal REASONS, but IMHO it's mainly EXCUSES to do something wrong. I'm not pointing fingers, but don't try to justify the wrong that you did for whatever reason you did it.

If you can steal and justify it, then you can break any other law and justify it, too. But that's a different story.

Dave :D

ok, so u say that stealing is wrong PERIOD. With NO justification, right? I have to disagree with that. As im sure you have seen... there are plenty of reasons to steal software... most of them are not dignified... But as I already said, there are also situations where a company should not be making a profit off of their products for reasons... or "excuses." Call them what you want... Stealing from a "stealing" company, or a company that makes a bad product in some way, or steaing from a bad AND monopolizing company.... seems absolutely FINE to me.
thanks again
Al

winblowz said:
ok, so u say that stealing is wrong PERIOD. With NO justification, right? I have to disagree with that. As im sure you have seen... there are plenty of reasons to steal software... most of them are not dignified... But as I already said, there are also situations where a company should not be making a profit off of their products for reasons... or "excuses." Call them what you want... Stealing from a "stealing" company, or a company that makes a bad product in some way, or steaing from a bad AND monopolizing company.... seems absolutely FINE to me.
thanks again
Al

That makes sense man, which is fine, as long as you understand that stealing is still wrong. What you stated is your opinion and reasons that you do whatever you do. Which I am cool with, like I said in my first post on this, "To each his own." The fact still remains that in any civilized nation, if you get caught stealing there are consequeses that happen to help you see that stealing is wrong, no matter the reason why you stole.

DMo224 said:
BTW, I am selling a car (a rather large custom van) and have been told by one guy that I wanted too much. I hope he doesn't steal it.

Let's put it this way. I don't believe situation ethics is RIGHT. Stealing is always wrong!

My statements are not issues around who has stolen and what was stolen and for what reason they stole (I'm not an angel). My statements are not about who needs and who wants. My statements are just to say that "stealing is wrong."

The thing I get tired of hearing is how people try to justify something that is wrong. Everyone has all their own personal REASONS, but IMHO it's mainly EXCUSES to do something wrong. I'm not pointing fingers, but don't try to justify the wrong that you did for whatever reason you did it.

If you can steal and justify it, then you can break any other law and justify it, too. But that's a different story.

yeah, we understand that stealing is wrong... I think that IF IT IS TRULY JUSTIFIABLE, THEN IT IS NOT WRONG. Although the law may defy it, it may be the "right" thing to do. (in your perception)

And you're right though, people can try to justify breaking other laws... Some do it to trick themselves into thinking that its ok. Others really do believe in a cause. The problem with breaking other laws is that you're more easily caught. :D
Al

"The Omega Strain...."

Guy said:
Nope. What I am saying is stealing is wrong and there is no excuse or reason that makes it right and it is the individual personÂ’s choice to make that decision.

This makes no sense to me:

I already stated that I stole because I didnÂ’t care. ThatÂ’s not an excuse, I simply donÂ’t care. It really is that easy.

The point I was attempting to get across is that stealing is wrong no matter what.

I didn't think that "I was coming after" anyone. Sorry you perceived it that way. I thought I was merely conversing in a topic.

I heard a saying once: “Sometimes it is better to do the wrong thing for the right reasons, than to do right thing for the wrong reasons.”

What that means, in the context we are speaking, is that it is better to steal food to feed your starving family, than to let your family starve because it is wrong to steal.

PS. Wanting or “needing” software is not a reason to steal it. I hope that all this makes more sense to you now.
k?

“I got most of it down, but theirs still one thing I don’t understand; You say that you steal because you don’t care, right? But you tell us, that stealing is wrong. Giving those statements, you believe that we should care about stealing, even though you don’t. If you don’t care, what makes you think that we should? Don’t get me wrong, I’m just trying to figure out which side you’re on here. And also to find out Why you think that stealing software is wrong? So far I have all my reasons why stealing software is in some cases the right thing to do….”:cool:

Fair enough.

I am not telling you that you should care one way or the other, that is a moral decision that you must decide for yourself. I am simply saying that stealing is wrong.

As for sides, I don't have one. I steal (music), but that is my decision. I know it's wrong, I am not asking anyone to forgive me, or to do what I do. I simply would like for people to understand that just because you want something doesn't make it right, no matter your reasons, to steal.

I would be a hypocrite if I said, "You shouldn't steal because it is wrong", while I sit here and write that I steal. Which I haven't said at all. I didn't say that anyone shouldn't or should steal, I just said that stealing is wrong.

Stealing is defined as taking something that is not RIGHTFULLY yours without the owner's permission.

Here's something for your consideration. If you write a program and someone steals it, would it be okay with you? Of course not. And if this program becomes the top seller for many years and you are rich beyond dream, then someone steals it, would it be okay then? I don't think so.

BTW, after reading this:
You say that you steal because you donÂ’t care, right? But you tell us, that stealing is wrong. Giving those statements, you believe that we should care about stealing, even though you donÂ’t.
The conclusion made there is not a logical conclusion given the preceding statements.

Statement 1: I steal because I don't care.
Statement 2: Stealing is wrong.
Logical conclusion: I don't care that stealing is wrong.

Anyway, it's been an interesting debate. I think it's really cool when members can discuss and not flame. Good job! My conclusion is that "stealing is wrong" no matter what we say to try and justify our acts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom