Stealing Software 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"outlook Exposure..."

DMo224 said:
So, since situation ethics says that stealing is only bad in some cases and that stealing is okay in some cases, what is the criteria to determine if it's okay or not? Is it that when a company has millions it's okay to steal from them? Or is it when in your estimation its software is overpriced, then it's okay to steal it?

And if stealing something that is "easy" to steal is okay, what about someone that can steal my car in about 30 seconds and it's overpriced anyway, is that okay?

No one likes paying for anything! I agree! I would rather save all my money for what I want to buy. But if I can justify stealing it, why do I need money to begin with.

People can justify anything....at least in their own minds!

[/rant]

Dave :D
So the way YOU see it, is that itÂ’s NOT right for people to steal something that they need. For instance, if someone STEALS money in order to feed his family, then heÂ’s nothing more than a common criminal. So if I steal programs like Macromedia Studio MX 2004 to make websites for companies to pay my BILLS, than IÂ’m nothing more than a thief and a liar. Right? In that case, there are two types of software criminals out their;

1. Common thiefÂ’s (Those that steel what they need,)
2. Common criminals. (People who steal cuz they want to.)

You may not get this, but there is a BIG difference between morals and wisdom.
A moral is wisdom that you learn from someone else, and wisdom is something that you learn for yourself. And I am one to know that MONEY is no objectÂ…
:cool:

there is a difference between stealing software and stealing something physically; if you steal software, it usually means you have a copy of it which you didn't pay for, but the person you "stole" it from still also owns that software themself.

on the other hand if you stole, say a car, then the person who you stole it from would no-longer own it

stealing software has not nearly the effect of stealing something phisically, and that is the difference in which people make their justification to "steal" software

I am against the stealing of things like cars, equipment etc. but I am for the "stealing" of overpriced software, in which the creator seems only to care about selling it.
I agree that a lot of software is worth paying for, but that a lot of software is just ridiculously overpriced and not worthy of being paid for

yeah, u have a good point Apokalipse... But I also think that stealing physically from a COMPANY has the same effect as stealing via /web.
Example.

I could walk into a store, and walk out with a norton packet without paying for it.

Or, I could go online, get a trial, and then find a crack for it.

Either way, Norton would not be paid for their product, which they should be. I think that not only is the difference between stealing digitally and stealing physically a "justification," but its more of the reason WHY they do it... You have much less odds of getting caught stealing via internet... If I made any sense at all. lol

It just... Makes more sense to steal digitally? Does that make sense?

Maybe I'm talking through a hole in my head again LOL

Al
:D

I love stealing stuff. ... I kinda have a problem in that area....

If you ask me, If you want somone to stop pirating software, then STOP usin registration codes!!!;)

Stealing is stealing. A person makes a choice to do it.

Some of you guys are saying that stealing software or whatever so you can work and pay your bills is ok... wrong. If you need money to pay your bills go get a job at McDonalds or your countrys equal. What if someone came into your house and stole your computer so that they could do work and pay their bills? Would you be ok with that? Didn't think so...

Some of you guys are saying that it's ok to steal because the company has millions/billions of dollars... wrong again. They got their money from an idea or product that they sold and people paid for. It is not the companies fault that they capitalized on an idea. The money didn't fall into their lap. What if someone kept stealing the product you were selling to make a living and you had to keep using the profits from what you did get to sell to make more products for people to steal? Would you be ok with that? Didn't think so...

With all that being said, "To each his/her own." You make your own decisions, just don't try to blame someone else or try to justify stealing because [ insert excuse here ]. Stealing is stealing. No matter how you try to explain it or whatever else. Stealing is still stealing.

Do I steal? Yep. I have downloaded shared music since before Napster got popular. I will continue to do this as long as I can. I do buy albums that I deem worthy, and I don't download full albums. Does that make me any better? Nope.

Just some food for thought. Enjoy.

hmmm...

Guy said:
Stealing is stealing. A person makes a choice to do it.

Some of you guys are saying that stealing software or whatever so you can work and pay your bills is ok... wrong. If you need money to pay your bills go get a job at McDonalds or your countrys equal. What if someone came into your house and stole your computer so that they could do work and pay their bills? Would you be ok with that? Didn't think so...

Some of you guys are saying that it's ok to steal because the company has millions/billions of dollars... wrong again. They got their money from an idea or product that they sold and people paid for. It is not the companies fault that they capitalized on an idea. The money didn't fall into their lap. What if someone kept stealing the product you were selling to make a living and you had to keep using the profits from what you did get to sell to make more products for people to steal? Would you be ok with that? Didn't think so...

With all that being said, "To each his/her own." You make your own decisions, just don't try to blame someone else or try to justify stealing because [ insert excuse here ]. Stealing is stealing. No matter how you try to explain it or whatever else. Stealing is still stealing.

Do I steal? Yep. I have downloaded shared music since before Napster got popular. I will continue to do this as long as I can. I do buy albums that I deem worthy, and I don't download full albums. Does that make me any better? Nope.

Just some food for thought. Enjoy.

hmm... So, Guy, why do you steal if you know that it is the wrong thing? You seem to complain plenty about software theft... Do you just not care? And if so, do you think that not caring about stealing software is better than believeng that you are stealing it for a reason or cause? Why? Do you think that "resons or causes"are just fabricated reasons to excuse wrongdoings?

thanks again
Al
:D

Hey thanks for your response.

Actually I haven't complained about software theft at all. I made a generalization about stealing technology. As you may notice, I said "computer" in the first example and "idea or product" in the second example.

And your right, I steal because I don't care, but I haven't once made an excuse as to 'why' I steal or why it's right or wrong. Not caring doesn't make it right, it is still stealing, but I simply don't care.

No, I don't think that 'reasons or causes are just fabricated reasons to excuse wrong doings", I think that it is just a lack of maturity and self responsibility. And there is the difference, I am an adult, I take responsibility for my actions. I don't make excuses. If I get caught stealing, well, it serves me right. Does that mean I want to get caught? Of course not.

If I tried to, could I justify my stealing of music? Yep. I steal music to see if I want to drop $20 on a CD that I may or may not like. If I like it, I buy the complete album, if not, I don't.

As you can see, though, the above is nothing more than an excuse to steal.

ok

Guy said:

And your right, I steal because I don't care, but I haven't once made an excuse as to 'why' I steal or why it's right or wrong. Not caring doesn't make it right, it is still stealing, but I simply don't care.

stealing is stealing... why does it matter if you have made an excuse or not... Stealing with or withough excuses, or good intention, or whatever reason you can think of still delivers the initial amount of dammage to the company. But some people that steal only in certain situations do have actual reasons, and not excuses, as to why they steal. And that brings is back to the question... Do we want to hurt this company? Why? How much will it hurt this company?

I wonder how many thousands of people think...

"ahh, it won't be so bad if just I steal this.. only once... it can't be too bad for their bussiness."

in that given speech example it is assuming that the thief probably respects the software that he/she is stealing. In which case I believe that he/she should probably buy it.

What do you think everyone?

"A 'THEIF' in the night..."

Guy said:
Hey thanks for your response.

Actually I haven't complained about software theft at all. I made a generalization about stealing technology. As you may notice, I said "computer" in the first example and "idea or product" in the second example.

No, I don't think that 'reasons or causes are just fabricated reasons to excuse wrong doings", I think that it is just a lack of maturity and self responsibility. And there is the difference, I am an adult, I take responsibility for my actions. I don't make excuses. If I get caught stealing, well, it serves me right. Does that mean I want to get caught? Of course not.

If I tried to, could I justify my stealing of music? Yep. I steal music to see if I want to drop $20 on a CD that I may or may not like. If I like it, I buy the complete album, if not, I don't.

As you can see, though, the above is nothing more than an excuse to steal.
I donÂ’t get it.

What youÂ’re saying is that itÂ’s you steal, but itÂ’s better not to make up excuses right? But you also say that you make up excuses. So youÂ’re excuse for making up excuses is that youÂ’re NOT making up excuses for stealing? So now you want to come after us for having REASONS to, so that must mean stealing is worse when you Have a reason to, as apposed to doing it for nothing? I hope you can explain this to me. Thank youÂ…..????:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom