Stealing Software 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Outlook Expression..."

I for one DO agree with stealing software in some cases. What I mean by that is that there are three types of software on the market;
1. Good software, (The kind thatÂ’s WORTH paying for,)
2. Cheap software, (The kind thatÂ’s NOT,)
3. Rip-offs. (All of the above at an OUTRAGEOSE price.)

I donÂ’t mind paying for software, I just donÂ’t like it when they make a programs that people need, and expect you to pay over $300 on average for it. I mean ALL types of programs. Even programs that make programs like REAL Basic would cost you over $400. And donÂ’t get me wrong, I DO understand the moral obligations to PAY for them, But how STUPID do these companyÂ’s think we are anyway?:cool:

Yeah, a lot of creativity software is very expensive, but probably because it isn't as in demand as gaming software. The price of some of these programs is rediculous though - and some even drop drastically in price when a new version comes out.
Also, a lot of these programs are used for commercial purposes - you end up getting your money back after the initial investment if whatever you make sells. Which basically stiffs those who code/paint/write music on the computer for the fun of it.

REAL BASIC should be a -lot- cheaper for what it is, but there's a load of equally good programming that costs very little - even freeware.

I can justify pirating GBA games though, many are crappy tie ins from cartoons or rehashes of old SNES games, but who'd want to download them anyway?
Same with old roms - buying SNES games from second hand shops for £3 a time is just the same as buying PD software - the cost being the price of the media it's on, so you may aswell download them as they aren't commerically viable nowadays, (except in Brazil probably) un;ess they effect the sales of the rehashed GBA ports.

i never buy software i just get them off friends or just download them. if i couldnt download them or get them off friends i would buy them. but i hate buying stuff that i can get for free.

I think that many other industries benefit in the long run from pirating. Although it may not seem so, how do most people get into 3d renders/animation when they are 15-16. I mean obviously you arent gonna go out and pay 3000 dollars for 3dsm if your never going to see some return profit so what do you do, pirate it. The thing is, the 3d industry is seeing a surge of people who want to do animation and rendering and things of that nature.

Had these people had little or no access to these programs you would not see the influx of those who are interested in this type of work.

Re: "Outlook Expression..."

ATIRAGEPRO said:
I for one DO agree with stealing software in some cases. What I mean by that is that there are three types of software on the market;
1. Good software, (The kind thatÂ’s WORTH paying for,)
2. Cheap software, (The kind thatÂ’s NOT,)
3. Rip-offs. (All of the above at an OUTRAGEOSE price.)

I donÂ’t mind paying for software, I just donÂ’t like it when they make a programs that people need, and expect you to pay over $300 on average for it. I mean ALL types of programs. Even programs that make programs like REAL Basic would cost you over $400. And donÂ’t get me wrong, I DO understand the moral obligations to PAY for them, But how STUPID do these companyÂ’s think we are anyway?:cool:

I completely agree with that. Some software is worth paying for. some isn't. And software that is crap, AND overpriced...

I don't see anything wrong with pirating, especially overpriced Microsoft software. In fact it was pirating of early Windows versions (3.1/95) that caused Windows to become the dominant operating system.

So, since situation ethics says that stealing is only bad in some cases and that stealing is okay in some cases, what is the criteria to determine if it's okay or not? Is it that when a company has millions it's okay to steal from them? Or is it when in your estimation its software is overpriced, then it's okay to steal it?

And if stealing something that is "easy" to steal is okay, what about someone that can steal my car in about 30 seconds and it's overpriced anyway, is that okay?

No one likes paying for anything! I agree! I would rather save all my money for what I want to buy. But if I can justify stealing it, why do I need money to begin with.

People can justify anything....at least in their own minds!

[/rant]

Dave :D

*FALSE*

DMo224 said:
So, since situation ethics says that stealing is only bad in some cases and that stealing is okay in some cases, what is the criteria to determine if it's okay or not? Is it that when a company has millions it's okay to steal from them? Or is it when in your estimation its software is overpriced, then it's okay to steal it?

And if stealing something that is "easy" to steal is okay, what about someone that can steal my car in about 30 seconds and it's overpriced anyway, is that okay?

No one likes paying for anything! I agree! I would rather save all my money for what I want to buy. But if I can justify stealing it, why do I need money to begin with.

People can justify anything....at least in their own minds!

[/rant]

Dave :D

I do not believe that it is ok to steal from a company simply because they have "millions." Maybe I would if the estimation is "overpriced," such as Microsuck software, and if the vender cheated.

I don't steal software becuase it's easy... I DO believe it or not lol have morals on software theft.

and guess what? Your not selling your car. A better example would be if you WERE selling your car, and then someone decided that it was not worth the cost, so they would just steal it instead of paying for it. Unfortunately, what is illegal is defined by punishment. And in the mind of several thiefs, if you don't get caught, then it's not illegal.

If I wanted to, I could try to justify all of my wrongdoings, and sometimes I have. But I still acknowledge that they were wrong and don't do it again... I set parameters for what I think is right to take, and what is not.

For example, I don't mind stealing from a company that steals...
but then... you are no better than that company, right? Not if the company is well respected, such as M$.
:D
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom