the st00p!d computer question thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ekÆsine said:
Silesia do you run a computer store or something?

I am an operations manager at a computer wholesaler / retail shop.
I also do tech support, and I assign out jobs to the onsite techies.
I am also the person that cops the abuse then one of the techies f**ks up on a job.
Thankfully, I have some one else that work above me, so if it goes lto the D.o.F.T., then it's really not my headache.

ekÆsine said:
you seem to have run into every kind of situation. lucky i am not in your position. i would probably come to work and hide in a corner all day in a fetal position chanting 'make the bad people go away' :)

Trust me..... you get use to it.
I cop it from both side. Both the end users and the suppliers.
But it most likely explains why i am lossing my hair at the age of 27.

It could be worse. I got a friend that works CABLE TV TECH-SUPPORT as a senior tech. He gets passed all the calls for all the people that are trying to hack into the FoxTel network.

Here is some more one........

=====

Customer has a 100% MS-DOS Based Account and Inventory Software Package. It's running on an MS-DOS 6.22 machine.
The problem is there new HP LaserJet 1100 is doing all sorts of strange things when it comes down to printing out stock inwards report. After serval phone calls to both the Software Provider and HP, it turns out that this particulare report is designed on only be printing out on a DoxMatrix Printer.

ME :- The report that you need to print out only work on a DOT MATRIX printer. So i suggest that you replace your LaserJet with a Epson LQ-300 Dot-Matrix printer.
BUSINESS OWNER :- DOT MATRIX! Those things are stone age!
ME :- (THINKING)if it was not for the fact that this guy runs 5 other businesses, is very wealthly, and would take me to the wall with out a second thought........ But then again, I am quitting this $+!+y job this afternoon as my boss is an total pycho, and as it's my last day.... my reply was...
ME :- "So is MS-DOS 6.22."

=====

"I just spilt coffee on my notebook computer. Is it still covered under warranty?"
(I really like it when they are honest. It save me the head ache after I send it in for RMA.
I have lost count the number of time I have had the abusive phone call from Toshiba/Compaq/HP/whatever say "What the hell you talking about with 'Keyboard not working ; still under warranty.' I can see the coffee grounds in on the motherboard.")

haha that is really good. but just to make sure i'm not too out of it, the coffee holder is the cdrom drive right? i can't think of anything else being a coffee holder. yes i'm not too good with jokes. insults accepted.

confusedSQL said:
Yes, the coffee holder refers to the CD-Rom drive. :)

After all those "mishaps", I wonder why slot-load CD-ROM drives sales haven't took off... :)

Oh yeah, probly because people inserted their floppy disks in there. :grind:

BTW, nobody here has one slotload CD/DVD for sale? Seriously, it's not that I use my CD-ROM tray as a cup-holder, no jokes guys. :rolleyes: I really need one.

RE: Computer Expert

I know what you mean Silesia. About 3 years ago I was in College taking my programmer analyst diploma. And people that I knew would always ask me what was wrong with their system and if I could fix it. All of these problems where of course hardware issue. The famous line was "Well your the computer guy fix it." I designed software what the hell did I know about hardware. I'm currently taking my A+ Certification so I could get knowledge on hardware too.

CopperFrog you do realize the A+ Certification is just theory right? if you score perfect n that exam you still learn nothing about how to fix hardware, but hey at least you could tell people that a phone cable is called RJ-11. thats pretty useful :(

Yeah I know :) ,

The A+ Cetrtification is tested on theory and according to CompTIA its suppose to be equivalant to 6 month experience computer repair. I have a diploma in computer programming, I'm taking A+ certification to beef up my resume with cert and diploma. I have two diploma and soon one cert. Its mainly to give me that edge against other people applying for a job. And also it good to know what is in the computer. I knew the basics but last year you could have asked me the difference between IDE and SCSI and I would have had that dumb look on my face starring at nothing. Also want to build my own system so with the experience I gain I'm pretty confident to get the best for my money.

Here's another that I get ask alot (which agrivates me to know end when they want it in writing)

"What is the RRP for OEM Software?"

When I get questions like these, I file them under ID 10 T.

Someone HAS to catch that. If none of you techies catch that, you are all FIRED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom