Speed Limit Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you know how much time I have spent in the states driving?

It's been 15 days + 7 days in florida

EVERY American comments on how fast us Canadians drive up here.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Why do people drive 90 mph? Do you they know how horrible thier gas mileage is?

Ryan

um they spend more, but in a shorter period of time

so according to your logic it would be very cheap to drive from los angeles to new york if you went 10mp/h?

Actually, no. Your best gas mileage is at the point where you get into your last gear, at the most efficient rpm. If you're going 90, you're turning darn near 3k rpm's, which I know is NOT ideal for almost any vehicle. After you figure in higher air resistance, the faster you go, the worse your mileage.

My truck takes ~68 horsepower to stay at 65 mph. Ideally, I would want to find the rpm at which my truck puts 68 hp to the wheels. If I drive at 1700rpm's, I'm getting the most out of my gallon, but not increasing air resistance.

Ryan

yeah exactly... what fightingirish said

gas mileage is not better the slower you go

its not good in the city (stop and go) but not for in extreme speeds either.. there is a certain speed at which the car is at it's prime gas mileage

How would you know how much time I have spent in the states driving?

It's been 15 days + 7 days in florida
Because of your age, this allows you to only been driving for a certain amount of time. The fact that you've lived in canada since I've known you which has been well over a year, so theres taking a toll off your time, and the fact you've never mentioned about living in the US for any extended period of time which I'm sure you woulda have brought up numerous times in the many canada/US threads there have been here. So unless you were driving hours on end from the age of 10 and in the US, I'm pretty much accurate in saying, your view of americans and how fast they drive is pretty limited, as you're not a 50 year old man who's traveled all over north america these last 35 years.

Even further beyond all that, every state is different. I can guarantee you folks in texas driver slower than the crazy people out here in california. (waits for all the texans to say THAT'S NOT TRUE) but for christs sake it IS true, I've driven in both states for a number of years.

Lifestyle in texas is just simply more 'laid back' I guess one could say. Point being, the states you visited, or more accurately, the cities you were in, could have all been different. Go to the main highway leading to los angeles here in california and it'll be 90+ easy for a huge number of drivers.

EVERY American comments on how fast us Canadians drive up here.
Not every........since I haven't driven in canada or even visited it, so I can't make a single comment.

BTW, for the gas mileage thing......irish is correct. You save a lot more gas at going 55mph going the same distance than you would at 65mph going the same distance.....of course this is merely an average and estimation, not stone hard fact for every vehicle on earth.

On a 20 mile stretch of US 127 people will do 80-100 from 2:00-5:00 in the afternoon, if I can I will find my mothers camera and record it, that is if I can get it, we have had the damned thing since I was like 4 years old. Plus once the new state law is passed the speed limit will be 75 on the highway, and 55 in town. ^_^

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Actually, no. Your best gas mileage is at the point where you get into your last gear, at the most efficient rpm. If you're going 90, you're turning darn near 3k rpm's, which I know is NOT ideal for almost any vehicle. After you figure in higher air resistance, the faster you go, the worse your mileage.

My truck takes ~68 horsepower to stay at 65 mph. Ideally, I would want to find the rpm at which my truck puts 68 hp to the wheels. If I drive at 1700rpm's, I'm getting the most out of my gallon, but not increasing air resistance.

Ryan

wind resistance is coefficient of drag times velocity squared

best mileage for a vehicle is idling in 1st or second gear LOL, sure engines run better in certain rpm zones, they are tuned that way and have a natural tendency towards it as well, typically just past peak torque they are happiest, but mileage wise its still all about the energy it takes to move the vehicle down the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom