Someone is in some deep Sh**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Computer Error Rocks Alaska's Fund

I'm sure many of you have accidentally formatted a drive and lost valuable data but imagine wiping out a drive with a $38 billion account on it. What can be worse than that? Reformatting the back-up drive too.

That's what happened to a computer technician reformatting a disk drive at the Alaska Department of Revenue. While doing routine maintenance work, the technician accidentally deleted applicant information for an oil-funded account — one of Alaska residents' biggest perks — and mistakenly reformatted the backup drive, as well.

that sounds a bit to ''coincidental'' to me

its one thing to format the main drive...but the back-up as well...i dont think so

Formatting a drive doesn't completely obliterate the data, it just removes the file tables so they can't be accessed through conventional means and will eventually be overwritten by newer files. They can still recover the data unless the dude did a low level format which actually writes zeros to all the disk space

I was going to reply with exactly what gaara did. So yeah.. what he said.

Also, Data recovery services are wicked expensive. The good thing is, you only pay if they can recover your data. Bad thing is it doesn't always recover 100%.

Also, Data recovery services are wicked expensive..

Hahaha...well so far they've lost 30+ Billion Dollars.....im shure they will be willing to use the expendature to get the money back

I dont believe that it is completely erased to be honest...the department of revenue would have LOADS of back ups....and somebody who works their couuldnt just ''erase'' it

What I find odd is that it happened in July, the data was re-entered manually, nobody lost any money,(although the checks were a couple months late) and the story is coming out NOW? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom