Some advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have a similar thing at my job. The "supervisor" of my department (boomboxes, consoles, phones, etc.) would always pull that crap on me. It was actually because I was kicking his *** in sales and I worked less than half of his hours and he hated me for it. I also ended up being promoted to a different department but he followed me shortly after. I was promoted to computer sales, he moved to computer repair. He actually stopped doing this when I asked him (firmly) to stop interupting my sales and screwing them up when my manager was nearby. Maybe try something like that next time he messes you up.

Re: "I talk about PCs at a computer store!!...."

ATIRAGEPRO said:
If he's a supervisor, then he can supervise, but he just works there doing the same job. The old man is just upset because he thinks he is going to get laid off, and/or replaced by a younger employee. :bald:

I can see why the man is upset, but that still isn't M4A1's fault, now is it? :cool:

He's not a supervisor at all. The General Manager is from Sears Hardware (he was a manager there, too) - and he switched to being a Staples GM. Then I guss he brought that guy to come work for him in Staples, and I guess he complied. Regardless, he's still an associate. I absolutely dislike him. And since I'm on summer break, I mostly work the hours he works... so it's inevitable to outright ignore him -- which would be the best option. You don't know how much I cherish the days I get different hours than him!

---

@nitestick - I got it like 2-3 weeks ago, depends if you count orientation.

---

BTW, someone came in looking for a laptop for their daughter in college, and later asked me for MS Office Suite. I showed it to them, and they asked if Staples could install it for them... Naturally, I felt bad because it would be a huge waste of $29.99, but I didn't say anything because I could go back out to the tech room and just install that for like 1/2 hour - 1 hour (the managers won't know/care).

I wish you could tell them "OpenOffice.org is superior in price, quality and functionallity. And it's FREE!" But I reckon you'd get fired for that. I couldn't work at a store that sold software ... I'd feel bad taking peoples money for it.

But yeah, I wouldn't tolerate that old man's ********, really, if someone did that **** to be, I'd find another job, and when I left, I'd tell the guy off, maybe rough him up a little ;)

I'm guessing that you are in high school and are in your teens. I was in your boat whilest working in retail a while back. People underestimate what you are capable of, and therefore feel the need to babysit you to make sure you are doing the job properly.

Who knows? Maybe your manager got the old guy to check up on you to make sure that you are catching on ok, and that you are able to handle customer's questions easily. I imagine the old guy has been working there for a while, and has a bit of experience.

I would wait it out a bit, and prove to this old guy, and possbily your manager that you can take care of customers just fine on your own. Starting conflicts at work is truly stupid, no matter who it is with.

I also assume that you don't want to stay with Staples as a career, right? When you go to have an interview with a place that is where you want to start a career, I almost guarentee you that they will ask you about a time in the past where you had an issue with a co-worker, and how you dealt with them. If you tell them in an interview that you told the old guy off, and slashed his tires or whatever, I can assure you that you are going to have to keep looking for a job;D

Hope that helps.

jorsoft03's suggestion sounds like the best solution.

Going to the store manager and explaining the situation would be my second choice.

While mirroring him brings personal satisfaction (and a little payback), it can backfire when he goes to the manager on you.

Elbatrop1 said:
I'm guessing that you are in high school and are in your teens. I was in your boat whilest working in retail a while back. People underestimate what you are capable of, and therefore feel the need to babysit you to make sure you are doing the job properly.

Who knows? Maybe your manager got the old guy to check up on you to make sure that you are catching on ok, and that you are able to handle customer's questions easily. I imagine the old guy has been working there for a while, and has a bit of experience.

I would wait it out a bit, and prove to this old guy, and possbily your manager that you can take care of customers just fine on your own. Starting conflicts at work is truly stupid, no matter who it is with.

I also assume that you don't want to stay with Staples as a career, right? When you go to have an interview with a place that is where you want to start a career, I almost guarentee you that they will ask you about a time in the past where you had an issue with a co-worker, and how you dealt with them. If you tell them in an interview that you told the old guy off, and slashed his tires or whatever, I can assure you that you are going to have to keep looking for a job;D

Hope that helps.

Thanks, very informative post. I never realized how I could use it in an interview (your last paragraph).

Also, I did think that the managers might have had me mirrored by this guy, but I would suspect the manager to tell the other guys, too - who have been there longer than he has. I really think he thinks I'm incapable of selling & possessing technical knowledge.

I don't plan to have Staples as my career, definitely not, so I'm not going to worry about it that much. I'll be leaving this job once college starts back again, but I'd just like to have a little peace of mind when I'm working, without him by my side.

Like I say, wait it out a bit, but don't let it get to a point where you are going to quit just because of a coworker.

Confrontation can be a good thing. If it gets to a point where you can't stand it anymore, then talk to the old guy first, making sure to be polite and courteous.

After talking to him and things still aren't resolved, then it's time to bring it to management.

Good luck:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom