Solar Panel Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
Does anyone use the sun to provide electricity? If I could just use it in my computer/bedroom, I'm sure that will kill the electricity bill by 80%.

Me and my dad have been talking about it. But my mother is optimistic about it. That it "costs too much money". But we are thinking in the long run, it will be beneficial.

Anyone ever use one? I'm sure there are different "grades" of panels, different kw/hr, and so on.

Any input?

It will cost a LOT of money to start out...

First, you need several things, the solar panels, a DC to AC converter, and the junction box that will let you be capable of switching between normal and solar electricity depending on energy levels. You will also need a hefty battery bank (that's where it gets EXPENSIVE) to supply the equipment over night, or for days at a time without solar power due to weather, unless you go with a system that can monitor when the level gets critical and will switch you to another power source. It will NOT pay it self off fast, especially if you have to hop back onto your normal power provided by your local company often. With that said, if you go along with a battery bank, you will need larger cells that can power your equipment AND charge the bank up during the day.

I have done something on a smaller scale, using a few small cells, and a few 12v deep cycle batteries in the garage to power out-door lights during the summer, and christmas lights at winter.

Wasn't cheap, still works to this day, and still hasn't paid it self off.

About half a year ago, I attended a presentation about solar energy. From what they told me you need what c0rr0sive mentioned and more.
You have to verify the solar system with your electric company. You also have to have your house inspected, they can look at the surrounding trees, run a program, and it will simulate how much trees will cover your roof. Depending on location, and on surrounding things that may block sun, you may or may not be able to benefit from solar. Also, solar was very inefficient, you need many solar panels to really benefit. There were different types of panels too, the most inefficient, but cheapest, and easiest to use, was a roll up panel. You lay it on your roof, like a tarp.
I should have some notes on the presentation, if I can find them, then I will post what I can.

Edit: Couldn't find it. :sad:

How much does it cost? I read something online that it's like $2,000. But that might just be the panel, IDK.

I would get something that can automatically shut it off when the battery is low.

Actually, the newer type that they use on clay tile roofs that are using U shapped tiles, is a plastic like tarp, it's expensive, but gets a huge boost from the increased surface area. When I did my little project, I spent around $1300 for everything, and that was for out-door lights. A good setup will get VERY expensive, you are looking at a good sized loan just to power a full home or even a single bedroom that uses a lot of electronics.

Also, the only reason you would need to call in inspectors and get permits is when you tie your system into an existing system that is supplied from your local power plant. Mostly due to risks of shorts/electrical fires, and you need to see if you can back-feed into the power lines if allowed, some companies will give you a meter that checks if you do back-feed and will actually give you money back when you back-feed.

I have seen one house actually feed enough back in, that they got a check from the electrical company instead of a bill, but it wasn't much.

Well, getting anything back instead of paying them is a plus.

I saw where you can get a leease on it for $59/month, but that is similar to what you get from city power. So waste of money.

We've got solar on our house. The government was subsidising when we got it, they paid half the bill. Most of the time we're not only using just Solar power, but we're feeding some back into the grid as well. So definitely a win idea for us. How much sun does your area get?

On a good day, maybe 70% of the day. Our hose is West facing, roof slants north-south. Nothing obstructs the sun rays.

This my house in yellow square:

mine.png

Think this is an old satellite pic, because we had to cut our birch tree down a few years ago. So the backyard is more open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom