Software piracy: Pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many rap artists, some of them personally that don't give a care whether or not they make money

What Rap artists do you know?

You obviously some kind of communist hippy that thinks everyones out to save the world....

I'm sorry but your straying off topic....this is about PIRACY...not about expression....as i said in my last post...more music should be about art..but it just isnt anymore

Someone get this person a reality check* * *

Take Photoshop, for example. There is no way to justify the price of PhotoChop, other than they can charge what they want because PhotoChop has become the standard.
One major reason I use GIMP. GIMP is free.

*edit*
I'm sorry but your straying off topic....this is about PIRACY...not about expression....
And the cause(s) of piracy.

Companies wanting to make money and charging a lot, instead of doing it just for the expression, deters people from actually buying the product.

And if people want something bad enough and don't want to pay for it (usually because it costs a lot), they will get it without paying for it.

What Rap artists do you know?

Echo is one. You should have a listen to his music. You will probably find that it is quite refreshing compared to a lot of mainstream artists. (He is underground.) He doesn't care about money, or getting rich; he does what he does for the sake of expression. He has a page on MySpace last time I checked.

You obviously some kind of communist hippy that thinks everyones out to save the world....

What is with the additude? Are you having a bad day or something?

I'm sorry but your straying off topic....this is about PIRACY...not about expression....as i said in my last post...more music should be about art..but it just isnt anymore

Apokalipse covered that.

Someone get this person a reality check* * *

All you have done is insult me. You have not responded to many of the opinions I have expressed, and you have ignored a lot of points that I have been made. I would expect someone that owns their own business and has a degree in business to act more mature. I have held my tongue in this convorsation, and proved you wrong, I don't understand why you are acting the way that you are.

@Apokalipse:
I have heard that GIMP is missing some features that are in Photoshop. I only used GIMP once or twice, so I wouldn't know; is there anything missing that the adverage user cannot live without? To relate that to piracy, if it weren't for the absurd prices on mainstream software, maybe there would not be as much drive for people to create good open-source software like GIMP.

I would prefer this thread not be an argument over music, but that for which it was intended; on your point though, I have seen a few bands waste a lot of cash promoting themselves with no success, the turning point for bands is when people actually hear there songs, it's in no small part due to marketing; the bands themselves tend to be at the mercy of companies that are willing to promote and produce them as opposed to a group that may have talent but no media or image, I supose this does speak to piracy, people are liklely to download a song from a group they are familliar with.

@Apokalipse:
I have heard that GIMP is missing some features that are in Photoshop. I only used GIMP once or twice, so I wouldn't know; is there anything missing that the adverage user cannot live without? To relate that to piracy, if it weren't for the absurd prices on mainstream software, maybe there would not be as much drive for people to create good open-source software like GIMP.
It's been a while since I've actually used Photoshop (It was on the school computers, and I've finished school now)
But I don't miss anything in Photoshop.
The only think that I use that doesn't already come with GIMP is the ability to visually select layers; There's a plugin for that (GAMP)

I don't think I ever will move back to photoshop. GIMP does everything I want, and it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom