So who all here actually knows about IC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
Everyone here knows Intel and AMD. The names of processors, E6400's, FX-62, all of that stuff. We've all heard the time dual core, quad core, etc. We all know what heatsinks are and how important heat dissapation is. And we all have used and heard the the term GHZ.

But how many if you on here actually now how an IC works?

I ask this, because I just realised how little I actually know. I'm getting my microelectronics degree and I just started school a couple weeks ago. And after this short of time, I can already say, I had NO idea so much is involved in making a processor.

You know what blows my mind the most? The fact that IC's are made from sand. That's right. Your QX6700 is essentailly made out of sand. Sure, it's extremely purified with multiple elements added to it and taken off of it, but still. That's blows me away.

I realised how LITTLE I knew about processors and how they were made. Talk about a complex process! I mean holly cow. I can't even believe how many transistors they can fit on a single dye! Anbody know how many they're at with 45nm's? According to Moores law they should be doubling in size within the next year. Maybe by 32nm?

yeah IC's are cool little gizmos for sure. Ive quiet a few different boards with some old Z80's and an 8051 that I have and when you think about it, even these archaic little devices are really powerful. Makes you appreciate modern computers even more.

But how many if you on here actually now how an IC works?
There are different types of IC's, which work in different ways.
Some IC's which do the same job can work in different ways.

Some will be used for logic, some will be used for amplification, some will be used for power regulation, some will be used for storing data etc etc...

There are different types of IC's, which work in different ways.
Some IC's which do the same job can work in different ways.

Some will be used for logic, some will be used for amplification, some will be used for power regulation, some will be used for storing data etc etc...

Lol, you really didn't answer his question. Anyway, I really doubt anyone here truly understands the process of making ICs and how they work, regardless of the amounts of crap they spew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom