So who all here actually knows about IC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, you really didn't answer his question.
That's because the question can't be answered properly.
He asked "does anybody know how an IC works?"

But there are many types of IC, and they work in different ways.
So if you were to explain how, for example, a particular transistor amplifier IC works, that doesn't explain, for example, how a dynamic memory IC based on capacitors might work.

That's because the question can't be answered properly.
He asked "does anybody know how an IC works?"

But there are many types of IC, and they work in different ways.
So if you were to explain how, for example, a particular transistor amplifier IC works, that doesn't explain, for example, how a dynamic memory IC based on capacitors might work.

Jeez, stop being so confrontational. You are not always right and obviously cannot accept that fact, so please stop attempting to always have the last word.

And, as Killians demonstrated, you can answer the question and in fact, can do so without trying to impose your self-perceived intelligence upon everyone else in the forums.

Silicon may very well be on the way out soon. They are working with several other materials to develop alternatives.

Jeez, stop being so confrontational. You are not always right and obviously cannot accept that fact, so please stop attempting to always have the last word.
Why do you think that I think that I'm always right? I know that I'm not always right. And if you can show me that I am wrong, I'll gladly listen.
But this isn't about having the last word. It's about explaining something with the knowledge I have, so that other people can also hopefully gain knowledge.

And, as Killians demonstrated, you can answer the question and in fact, can do so without trying to impose your self-perceived intelligence upon everyone else in the forums.
I can explain my understanding with knowledge that I have. And that's what I did.
I don't see what the problem is.

Actually, Apokalipse made a very good point. "IC" is a very broad and general term, used for several different, specific things. Nothing 'superior' about it, actually, just a point being made.

Remember, this is a text format, and it is easy to read into something what we are looking for. Tone is very hard to convey with text.

I do, and i knew this when i was like in middle school, but still nonetheless i still read up on it, and as trotter said silicon is starting to hold us back, Carbon Nanotube FTW

I know this post is old, but in case anybody reads it, I'd thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

I do know a ton about semiconductors as I have a degree in Microelectronic Engineering. The difference between ICs that you all are talking about is only in application. In real life there are only two types of transistors used to make up integrated circuits as of now. Bipolar Junction Transistors and the MOSFET are the two primary transistors that you wire together to form an integrated circuit such as an amplifier or anything else.

When talking about processors and all that fun stuff, you have to realize that newer processors are cramming more transistors into a small piece of silicon and therefore change the line widths that they are printing. Intel just moved to 45 nm which is the gate channel length between the source and the drain of a transistor. Now, they can put 700+ million transistors into a small piece of silicon.

If you have any other questions about semiconductors, send me a message and we can talk about it.

I know this post is old, but in case anybody reads it, I'd thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

I do know a ton about semiconductors as I have a degree in Microelectronic Engineering. The difference between ICs that you all are talking about is only in application. In real life there are only two types of transistors used to make up integrated circuits as of now. Bipolar Junction Transistors and the MOSFET are the two primary transistors that you wire together to form an integrated circuit such as an amplifier or anything else.

When talking about processors and all that fun stuff, you have to realize that newer processors are cramming more transistors into a small piece of silicon and therefore change the line widths that they are printing. Intel just moved to 45 nm which is the gate channel length between the source and the drain of a transistor. Now, they can put 700+ million transistors into a small piece of silicon.

If you have any other questions about semiconductors, send me a message and we can talk about it.

MY BRAIN HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J/K

but at least this was a good bump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom