So tax time is here. Anyone else get a surprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loans were not a option as I made to much money. I was out on my own by the time i started College so i had no other option but try for it myself and there was no way i could get any grants, loans (Student or otherwise) or just about every other option. I tried TAP and PEL and neither gave me squat.

gotta love this.
i had the same situation. i was barely surviving trying to pay for school and working a lot just to barely squeak by, and had to have a little help from my folks (God bless 'em) now an again. go into get a PEL grant, get turned down. why? because i WORKED. i **** you not, the FA lady straight up told me that if i quit my job and sat around eating cheetos all day, they'd pay for my school. and i was like..."but, if i dont work, how will i buy said cheetos...or ANY food for that matter?" so i told her to stuff it and give the money to the lazy *******s that obviously "deserved" it more than me.

its a jacked up system, geared to make you (us) dependent on the gov't. and it works.

/rant

I disagree with the statement that having things paid for you is bad.. I agree for some people it is, like the people who don't do anything to earn it, then it's just encouraging them to not try and to slack through life being convinced that they will have things handed to them on a silver platter. I on the other hand, have a car that was bought for me by my parents, they cover my gas, repairs, maintenance, and insurance. I also have over 100K in a special college account that will basically get me though most of college, and anything that isn't paid for my parents are covering, so I don't pay for anything right now. Now, some of you guys are going to say that it shouldn't be like that, and I should earn it. But I say to you, that I do, but not in that way. I earn it by showing maturity and showing that I deserve to have the things. Also they don't want me to work so I can pay for these things, because they realize that high school and college are supposed to be fun, and not stressful because you're worrying how you're going to pay for insurance, gas, or your classes. Unlike a lot of people, I understand that and am thankful for it, and what I can do is work a job for money for myself, and buy myself whatever I want, which is great, and I've done that, but now I've started to save up because I know once I get out of school **** won't be paid for by my parents, and I can say good-bye to health insurance, car insurance, I'll be paying for rent, food and anything else I need to survive. Now, I will say that I've been told that I'm more mature than most people my age, or even older, and I think that has something to do with it because I understand that life isn't always fun and games and your parents are only your parents basically until you get out of school, and then you're on your own.

So I will say I think for some people, getting everything paid for you is a bad thing, but if you can demonstrate that you are thankful for what you get, then it's a great thing to have.

Not all will go towards college, and she won't be able to take all of that out at once. We want to make sure she has enough money to get a decent place of her own, and make sure she has some sort of fallback. We didn't have very much growing up, and basically nothing to look forward to, so we want to give her some of the things we never had. She won't be a spoiled brat like most kids coming from a single child family. If we have another kid it will be split between the both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom