So my school district made it into the news...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering a 9mm auto of some sort. I prefer to use hollow-points as I want the shot to take down whoever I shoot as I don't point a gun unless I mean to kill or maim. No definite plans as of right now, but once the money situation improves.

As to the OP, I am completely for metal detectors in schools. I am also for patrols of armed security, even if they are only armed with non-lethal weapons. I know how school was when I was there and that was quite a while ago. things have not got any better, and kids value life even less. I carried a knife every day in high school for my own protection and this was in a small southern town (20-30K). I can only imagine the war zones in some schools elsewhere.

The kid who brought the gun should have the book thrown at him, as should his parents. A 14 year old kid is not mature enough to be given free reign with a firearm, and this one has shown exactly why.

Apparently the kid lives with his grandmother because both of his parents are drug addicts. It's sad that stuff like that happens; how parents can screw up the lives of there kids. If he was put in a home where people actually cared about him this probably would have never happened.

This came as a major shock to me, where I live stuff like this hardly ever happens. We had a couple of kids die when I was in 8th grade (one was in my class) but it was not because someone tried to bring a gun in to school and kill them.

I'm considering a 9mm auto of some sort. I prefer to use hollow-points as I want the shot to take down whoever I shoot as I don't point a gun unless I mean to kill or maim. No definite plans as of right now, but once the money situation improves.

The browning High power is your best bet mate take it from me mate I have an will put my faith in that weapon, but if money is a issue get ahold of a Russian copy of Barretta M92 I have seen an tested decent ones around the $60 mark, if you need a really cheep weapon a Makarov is ideal but the ammo is a little harder to find but its cheep.

As to the OP, I am completely for metal detectors in schools. I am also for patrols of armed security, even if they are only armed with non-lethal weapons. I know how school was when I was there and that was quite a while ago. things have not got any better, and kids value life even less. I carried a knife every day in high school for my own protection and this was in a small southern town (20-30K). I can only imagine the war zones in some schools elsewhere.
I will never encourage any one who has no need or training to carry a weapon. I am just as capable with a knife as I am with a gun in CQB but the untrained person is liable to have it taken off them an have it stuck where the sun dose not shine. I am one of the few brits who think that the police should have more than a baton an mase as standard a Taser or a Small bore fire arm with a limmited capacity mag would be ideal just as long as they get more training on how to use one effectively an reasonably than a single afternoon every 6 months.

and kids value life even less.

Oh yeah. I think it was yesturday where i saw some thing on the 9msn where some sister shoot her brother with her father's just because brother would not move over on sofa.

Commy Scum.

Thank you. Consdider that most people only seem to remember the "the right of the people to keep and hear arms" of the Second Amendment, I will take that as a compliment. :)

Any pistol can kill, just get the largest clip size with decent accuracy. Forget about power, it's not like they will be wearing a bullet proof vest. Not many people are sturdy enough to stand after being shot in the torso or even leg with any 9mm. You just want to remove the threat, not blow there arm off.

That said, if you can meat all 3 requirements (power, clip size, accuracy) then ofcourse go for it.

We personally have no gun in the household that fires bullets, we have 2 air rifles rated at 36ftlbs and 49ftlbs respectively - but their hardly suitable for self defense. Although, i should imagine being hit in the neck with a 49ftlbs rifle would kill, if it hit the right spot. But in the chest ? Uhm, it would go through your clothes and penetrate into the body, but it'd make a neat whole and stop if it hit bone. If it did hit anything major you would have a good hour or so before you bled to death.

Max it's a little known fact that at prity close range a vest is useless and when it comes to a rifle round very few forms of personal armour is actually worth a darn. Depending on the round its self an the range a 9mm will be a through an though for stopping power and for 1 slot a drop you want something that will expand an fragment in the body a 9mm round is airo stable it lacks the tendency for normal cheep ammo not to sprawl when it hits a target under 22meters that is why British army issue pistol ammunition is flat pointed bow tailed it caused more trauma when it contacts a target and there is many many options for differing jobs. If you are a combat squaddie you are issued either type 3 wtich is standard frangible rounds or type 5 that are generic malleable core rounds that are ok under 16 meter for soft an hard target. But you can normally if you are over Sergeant ask for specific round classifications I myself always used Silver filled hollow points at the have a very good record of armour penetration and soft target decimation.

Your point about a large magazine capacity is moot as most people cant handle a semi automatic weapon, it takes time skill and body mass to be able to competently handle a automatic weapon when you are firing a burst of fire from a gentile round like a 5.56mm, considering that most of the fully automatics out there only have Repeat and automatic fire selection (I am talking numbers of weapons not differing models) and a squaddie in the british army is taught to fire no more than a 3 second burst as are most armys a automatic spray an pay is more likely to hit the ceeling than a living target your point is renderd moot, I myself am more worried about a guy who is good with a rifle.

I'm a decent shot, and it would be close range if they were in my house, less than 30'/10 meters. A hollow point doesn't just hurt a target... it leaves a nice gaping hole, which is exactly what I would want for anyone who broke into my house and/or threatened my family.

My dad always kept a .357 w/7" barrel and used hollow points in it, and I have seen what it can do to a dog. Messy, very messy.

I had to bury it twenty-five years ago, so I doubt there's a whole lot of it to dig back up now. :D

Hollow points are ALWAYS messy, but Trotter if you are willing to pay import fees I am willing to send you a few hundred rounds of what I am willing to use for self defense mate, nothing I have seen has so much devastation as a silver filled hollow point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom