so. All you big music fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
no just no, yes there are some very talented bands out there now but nothing compared to what we had in the 80s (and earlier)
GNR
Metallica
Megadeth
Skid Row
Sabbath
Dio/Rainbow
Queensryche
Maiden
etc..

bands now a days just have to come out with a semi catchy song and people will give them millions and then they realize that the bands suck and cant make anymore music .... that is whats killing the music industry

All those bands (well most), all the sound the same to me. If you show me a motley crue, then maybe.... Judas Priest, they sound the same...

there are so many more genres today...Well, more common genres I should say, that I respect more than normal 80s rock.

Progressive (amazing)
death metal
*core
ect

oh god...here we go.

resolve
suburban smash
cross examination
another breath
a death and a promise
hitlist
arm in arm
brass knuckle solution
harms way
death before dishonor
sick of it all
agnostic front
blacklisted
first embrace
modern life is war
walking tall
ambitions
the geeks
have heart
terror
comeback kid
rise against
the warriors
time after time
strive ahead
harms way
pound for pound
waster
take control
stick to your guns
the requiem
over and over
holy python
warghoul
ring true
the humanoids
this is he|_|_
ANS
the mongoloids
motherspeed
counting the days
kings of summer
everytime i die
poison the well
throwdown
signs of hope
from autumn to ashes
sum 41
crime in stereo
seventh star
down to nothing

just off the top of my head.....

Slayer is pretty good in concert. I seen them when they came to canada with Damage Plan before the whole Dimebag mishap (rip). Damage plan put on a better show than Slayer, but Slayer is slayer, so everyone just freaked out.

I also seen in flame, as I lay dying and killswitch engage in 1 concert. was intense, in flames puts on an intense show.

oh god...here we go.

resolve
suburban smash
cross examination
another breath
a death and a promise
hitlist
arm in arm
brass knuckle solution
harms way
death before dishonor
sick of it all
agnostic front
blacklisted
first embrace
modern life is war
walking tall
ambitions
the geeks
have heart
terror
comeback kid
rise against
the warriors
time after time
strive ahead
harms way
pound for pound
waster
take control
stick to your guns
the requiem
over and over
holy python
warghoul
ring true
the humanoids
this is he|_|_
ANS
the mongoloids
motherspeed
counting the days
kings of summer
everytime i die
poison the well
throwdown
signs of hope
from autumn to ashes
sum 41
crime in stereo
seventh star
down to nothing

just off the top of my head.....
lulwut?

All those bands (well most), all the sound the same to me. If you show me a motley crue, then maybe.... Judas Priest, they sound the same...

there are so many more genres today...Well, more common genres I should say, that I respect more than normal 80s rock.

Progressive (amazing)
death metal
*core
ect

ummmmmmmmmmmm judas priest and motley crue have a totally different sound. motley crue is just totally in your face metal that is all about sex/drugs/metal. judas priest in their older stuff, was really refined and complex, and then just got sick.

^true

and today there is way too many genres half of them are the same

death metal
black metal
Norwegian metal
sweedih metal
nu metal
heavy metal
hair metal

80 percent of metal bands out today fit into 80 percent of them its retarded

^true

and today there is way too many genres half of them are the same

death metal
black metal
Norwegian metal
sweedih metal
nu metal
heavy metal
hair metal

80 percent of metal bands out today fit into 80 percent of them its retarded

There's no "country" metals like sweedish...

Black metal, that's satanic-ish.
Death Metal, NOTHING like old metal...
Technical Metal, crazy stuff, not like 80s stuff
Mathcore (Psyopus.... No one is like them)
Progressive Metal, Opeth, some DT, very complicated and respectable.

Most 80s stuff is based off of power chords and alright solos based around the same scale, most of the time pentatonic. I look at my music by a technical standpoint, not by the actual tune of it...

There's no "country" metals like sweedish...

Black metal, that's satanic-ish.
Death Metal, NOTHING like old metal...
Technical Metal, crazy stuff, not like 80s stuff
Mathcore (Psyopus.... No one is like them)
Progressive Metal, Opeth, some DT, very complicated and respectable.

Most 80s stuff is based off of power chords and alright solos based around the same scale, most of the time pentatonic. I look at my music by a technical standpoint, not by the actual tune of it...

there definitely is like finnish/norwiegian/sweedish metal. they all sound basically the same as a small fraction of metal, but it is a separate thing.

and also you by looking at it from a technical stand point, then you are also looking at it from how it sounds because if two bands are technically the same then they would sound about the same..

there definitely is like finnish/norwiegian/sweedish metal. they all sound basically the same as a small fraction of metal, but it is a separate thing.

and also you by looking at it from a technical stand point, then you are also looking at it from how it sounds because if two bands are technically the same then they would sound about the same..

Well, I listen to a lot of Scandinavian metal, Dark Tranquility, Wintersun, Children Of Bodom, ect, and they do not sound the same at all. Dark Tranquility is Melodic Death Metal, Wintersun is Speed Metal, and Children Of Bodom is Power/Speed Metal.

Incorrect. At a technical standpoint, what you look for is

Their phrasing
What scales they use, effects the theme of the song of course
Tone of the guitars really makes a difference to me

One example of 2 similar bands are Symphony X and Dream Theater. I can listen to every single song on their albums, and I won't see much similar. Most 80's albums are different songs, but same chord progressions, scales, tones (feelings), style, ect. Technical wise they are very similar. Both use high-end guitars, and I believe both use Mesa Boogies, both are very very technical Progressive rock/metal, both make very long songs with complicated odd time breakdowns and solos, and it just goes on. However, the guitarists are both extremely talented, and have different styles. John Petrucci (DT) loves extremely fast alternate picking solos and a lot of odd time songs with a lot of instrumental parts, when Micheal Romeo (Symphony X), is more of a sweeper imo, and most of their songs I have don't break 10 minutes like DT (sides The Odyssey, and The Divine Wings of Tragedy). They both sound completely different to me, while being the same genre and having the same influences. That's what I fail to see with most 80s bands, besides Metallica. For example, I LOVE Megadeth. I hate how they use chromatic scales, however (every note in the diatonic music), because it shows how Dave has little or no knowledge on music theory, or just doesn't want to use it. They only have a few good songs, too, due to most sounding exactly alike on the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom